Senior Cloud Security Engineer at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
About this roll*: (Responsibilities)
We’re looking for a senior AWS security engineer to join our rapidly growing security team. In this role, you’ll help our engineering organization to identify, triage, and remediate security issues. You’ll also work in tandem with our engineering teams to think about and act on security challenges through all phases of software development, and to help us design and build new features to enhance the security of the Toast platform. The Toast security operations center (SOC) is growing and focused on building capabilities to monitor, detect, and respond across our environment. As a senior member you’ll be a major contributor to helping build the cloud functions of the SOC and contribute to our vision. Taking a “Trust but Verify” model, you will work with our TechOps group providing a security first voice to cloud based workflows. The ideal candidate is someone that can take on the “mindset of an attacker” and apply it to defense. You would be the SOC’s AWS security resource and lead engineering efforts to bolster our security posture. You are someone who stays abreast with emerging threats, embraces the security community, and seeks to contribute to it. We love security innovators who are always thinking about new and interesting solutions to keep pace with the ever changing security landscape.
What you will do:
- Manage SOC infrastructure e.g., malware protection, web layer protection, firewalls, patching and data leakage protection
- Leverage programming languages to solve problems and automate solutions to security findings
- Ability to act as a team player
- Contribute to threat modeling activities. Bonus points if you can apply traditional modeling to application and AWS
- Foster a security mindset with our development and DevOps teams by working with security champions
- Manage data flow and integrations with Firewalls, AWS CloudTrail, Linux syslogs, apps, HIDS, FIM, AV, etc
- Performing security design on cloud resident systems and services including requirements gathering
- Manage Scanners: (Code, Application, Database, Network, Host, etc.) to provide holistic insight and enable compliance of our platform
- Survey, review and develop recommendations for encryption key management Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Participating in the incident response process
- Collaborate with DevOps team in developing technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security risks and vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Expertise in container and DevOps technologies such as Kubernetes, Jenkins, Docker, and OpenShift.
- Experience with programming languages (Java & Python). You don’t need to be a developer but if you can contribute to building custom tools and communicate with our application security team, bonus points.
- Strong knowledge of threats and vulnerabilities associated with application and network security in a cloud environment (AWS).
- Strong understanding of Amazon Web Services(AWS) cloud application architecture & microservices
- Hands on experience with container security platforms such as TwistLock, Aqua, sysdig, stackrox, etc.
- Working knowledge of platforms such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, and SaltStack
- Experience using APIs
- Understanding of Red team/Blue team activities
- Familiarity with Mitre Att&ck Framework
- Familiar with containerization and orchestration technologies (Docker highly preferred)
- Experience leveraging programming languages to solve problems and automate solutions to free SOC team members cycles
- Ability to act as a team player
- Interest in tackling security threats and contribution to the SOC build-out
- Strong knowledge of the principles of implementation and operation and experience with security technology such as firewalls, multi-level security implementation, security assessment, monitoring and profiles tools (e.g. IDS/IPS, SEIM, AV,, etc.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required