Senior Android Engineer at Appcues
Appcues is a SaaS platform used by thousands of software companies to improve their products without writing any code. As a Senior Android engineer, you are responsible for designing and developing our Android SDK and sample app with exceptional engineering practices. We recently released our first mobile SDK for iOS and want to offer a Kotlin-based Android SDK. As our first Android engineer, this is a unique opportunity to determine our Android architecture and standards for years to come.
About the role:
- The engineering team currently has about 20 people comprised of four small teams. We are looking to expand our mobile team, which today has 4 engineers responsible for the Appcues iOS SDK, Web app, and API endpoints. Your initial mission is to design and develop an Android SDK and sample app using Kotlin focusing on a great Android developer experience.
- On a typical day, you may architect a solution, collaborate with our iOS or API engineers, help a beta customer with your SDK, build a new feature, drive consensus on a new practice, or mentor another engineer.
- Our engineers are involved in all stages of rapid agile development, including conception, design, and user-testing of new features and products.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations and manage their work via Github, Clubhouse, and Slack and are committed to agile development. You’ll break down any Epics and designs into cards, and as you complete tasks, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We believe in CI/CD, and you’ll be responsible for establishing appropriate SaaS tooling to build & deploy.
- You’ll collaborate across the organization with design, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful developer and user experience.
- You have 3+ years developing Android applications and/or backward compatible Android SDKs. You have excellent judgment across Android implementation approaches and are aware of their strengths & weaknesses. You are pragmatic, not dogmatic.
- You are an excellent communicator and enjoy documenting your designs, PRs, and usage guides for other developers.
- You are experienced developing in Kotlin and are passionate about Android testing and security fundamentals.
- You are comfortable influencing cross-team standards, practices, and tools by rolling up your sleeves and showing how things can be better.
- You can clearly describe the business implications of your technical decisions. You are excited to develop a vision & future technical mobile roadmap.
- You have collaborated closely with teammates working in iOS to develop innovative solutions that provide the same value across platforms, yet have a native experience to Android.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, the work we do, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words, we live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse team is a stronger team.