Senior Algorithms & Geometric Software Engineer
Markforged is liberating designers and engineers from the long lead times and high costs of traditional manufacturing. We build cutting-edge next generation cloud connected industrial 3D printers that produce parts 50x faster that are 23x stronger and 20x lower-cost. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged printers to produce same-day prototypes and stronger end-use parts than ever before.
Our software technologies and tools empower our customers to configure print-ready parts, visualize part geometry in 3D, and push to IoT-connected printers for printing. As part of the Software Engineering team, you would be helping to lead the scaling and growth of our 3D printing platform involving end-customer applications and IoT services. The Software team is highly cross-functional, and you will have ample opportunity to get involved in and take ownership of projects that interest you.
As an Algorithms & Geometric Software Engineer for our Slicer team you will be responsible for building and maintaining the geometry engine that lies in the heart of our 3D printing platform. We move at a breakneck pace but refuse to compromise on quality. We believe in “doing it right the first time” and investing in code quality, testing, tooling and infrastructure. Your ideas will directly influence the company's future. You will do interdisciplinary work on physical systems and learn from best-of-the-best engineers across Materials Science, Mech-E, EE, and Software.
In this role you will:
- Design, build and maintain our geometric part slicer to transform customer parts into machine instructions for our printers
- Work closely with R&D engineers to perfect print quality across our lineup of devices and materials
- Implement cutting-edge geometric algorithms that unlock the potential of our 3D printers
- Continuously optimize our code and data structures for correctness and speed
- Build internal tools to help our engineers visualize, instrument and debug the 3D printing process
What we look for:
- Strong background with 3D graphics, computational geometry and relevant math (e.g. linear algebra)
- Strong intuition for physical systems
- Understanding of polygon mesh modeling and file formats
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and 3D modeling libraries
- Know your way around a Unix shell
- Broad technical knowledge in object-oriented design and implementation, design patterns, and software development methodologies.
- Ability to thrive within a cross-disciplinary team with both technical and non-technical members
- Passion in keeping up with the latest advances in 3D printing and computational geometry
- Ability to take ownership of a project and execute it with technical excellence
- Facility with writing tested, maintainable, documented, and effective code
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Pride in driving any size project to completion
- Passion for building products that enable customers to solve their problems
- 3-5+ years experience building and shipping high quality code
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Node, Angular, React/ Redux, etc)
- Experience profiling and improving software performance
- Experience with web-based visualization frameworks (Canvas, D3, Three.js, WebGL and more)
- Experience with Emscripten or Webassembly
- Experience with robotics
- Advanced degrees such as Master's or PhD in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Physics
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description