Principal UI Engineer, Marketplace
As a Principal UI Engineer on the Marketplace team, you’ll create web, mobile, and desktop applications that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power our Marketplace platform.
Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced and sold—in the U.S. now, and soon around the world. Today, growers don’t have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers’ main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible.
Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers and preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic and similarly desirable crops.
Your expertise in interface design and software architecture will help us deliver a world-class front-end to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
As a Principal UI Engineer at Indigo you’ll:
- Design and implement user-facing applications. Today that means working in a React, Typescript, and GraphQL stack.
- Lead projects end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating risks and issues to stakeholders, and working together to find a path forward.
- Leverage your expertise to provide technical constraints and solutions to product managers, with a focus on incremental delivery.
- Collaborate with product managers, back-end engineers, and data science engineers to spec, build, test and deploy high quality code in the cloud.
- Promote applicable design patterns, refactoring code where necessary, to maintain organizational consistency.
- Ensure that all APIs are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests.
- Expertly review code, have your code reviewed, and mentor other engineers.
- Design product and infrastructure solutions that favor fast, incremental delivery but are extensible and scalable enough to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business and user base.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- You’ve been building front-end web applications professionally for 5+ years.
- You’re able to research, propose, and evangelize new technologies or software patterns to improve the software ecosystem.
- You’re a strong communicator. You can convey technical concepts and trade-offs to both engineering and business audiences.
- You have prior experience working in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness.
- You are a perpetual learner and passionate about technology.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management.
Nice to Haves
- You have experience working with a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- You have built production grade application using one or more of the following: Typescript, Node, GraphQL, Apollo, React
- You have developed software that deals directly with transactional systems, trading systems, e-commerce platforms, or marketplaces.
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.