Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
As a Principal Engineer / architect you will be responsible for creating a technical strategy and coordinating the designs for meeting the needs of Toast’s largest restaurant brands. You will partner with Product Managers to develop the technology roadmap that enables enterprise customers to leverage the power of Toast. You will also work closely with technical leaders and implementation teams across the organization to deliver robust, scalable solutions with integrations to customers’ external systems. While the role is primarily internally-facing, it requires infrequent interactions with enterprise customers, listening to their requirements and providing expert guidance as they deploy Toast.
If you’re a technical leader or a solutions architect, experienced with enterprise SaaS, passionate about customer value, and a great collaborator, read on!
About this roll*:
- Develop an expert understanding of Toast’s Core Platform (menu management, kitchen, publishing, APIs, security, extensibility) and a broad understanding of all Toast’s products.
- Partner with Toast Product Managers and Technical Leaders to understand the technology needs of enterprise customers. Map their needs to Toast’s platform, develop Toast’s enterprise technology strategy and roadmap, and communicate these within Toast.
- Develop prototypes of proposed enterprise solutions to evaluate the technical feasibility and fit.
- Engage hands-on with development teams at Toast to help them internalize enterprise requirements, design scalable solutions, and productize the prototypes.
- Provide mentoring in best practices suitable for enterprise software development.
- Provide technical guidance to Toast teams writing technical documentation, solution and architecture documentation, RFPs, RFIs etc., and if needed, consult with customer IT teams on their adoption of Toast.
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Strong technologist with 8+ years experience defining and implementing high scale SaaS solutions. Experience with a broad set of technologies that includes those used at Toast - tiered web applications, microservices, mobile, API design patterns, Java, Kotlin, React, data analytics.
- Experience with integration design patterns across high-scale, data-rich enterprise systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of building partnerships across engineering, product, customer success, and other stakeholders.
- Experience shipping iterative value using agile or lean software delivery methods.
- Excited to shape a growing market segment at Toast. Ability to engage with enterprise customers as needed to understand requirements and technical roadmap.
- Familiarity with restaurant POS systems and other restaurant systems such as NCR Micros, Aloha, Lightspeed, Brink, Harbortouch is preferred.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required