Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
As a Principal Engineer / architect you will be responsible for creating a technical strategy and coordinating the designs for meeting the needs of Toast’s largest restaurant brands. You will partner with Product Managers to develop the technology roadmap that enables enterprise customers to leverage the power of Toast. You will also work closely with technical leaders and implementation teams across the organization to deliver robust, scalable solutions with integrations to customers’ external systems. While the role is primarily internally-facing, it requires infrequent interactions with enterprise customers, listening to their requirements and providing expert guidance as they deploy Toast.
If you’re a technical leader or a solutions architect, experienced with enterprise SaaS, passionate about customer value, and a great collaborator, read on!
About this roll*:
- Develop an expert understanding of Toast’s Core Platform (menu management, kitchen, publishing, APIs, security, extensibility) and a broad understanding of all Toast’s products.
- Partner with Toast Product Managers and Technical Leaders to understand the technology needs of enterprise customers. Map their needs to Toast’s platform, develop Toast’s enterprise technology strategy and roadmap, and communicate these within Toast.
- Develop prototypes of proposed enterprise solutions to evaluate the technical feasibility and fit.
- Engage hands-on with development teams at Toast to help them internalize enterprise requirements, design scalable solutions, and productize the prototypes.
- Provide mentoring in best practices suitable for enterprise software development.
- Provide technical guidance to Toast teams writing technical documentation, solution and architecture documentation, RFPs, RFIs etc., and if needed, consult with customer IT teams on their adoption of Toast.
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Strong technologist with 8+ years experience defining and implementing high scale SaaS solutions. Experience with a broad set of technologies that includes those used at Toast - tiered web applications, microservices, mobile, API design patterns, Java, Kotlin, React, data analytics.
- Experience with integration design patterns across high-scale, data-rich enterprise systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of building partnerships across engineering, product, customer success, and other stakeholders.
- Experience shipping iterative value using agile or lean software delivery methods.
- Excited to shape a growing market segment at Toast. Ability to engage with enterprise customers as needed to understand requirements and technical roadmap.
- Familiarity with restaurant POS systems and other restaurant systems such as NCR Micros, Aloha, Lightspeed, Brink, Harbortouch is preferred.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.