Principal Software Engineer (Remote) at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:00 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
• A passion for building customer centric software
• Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem with a proven track record of designing and developing new microservices that drive the experience for millions of users
• Thorough understanding of Web system architecture and design at scale, with ability to clearly communicate and quantify trade-offs of key decisions
• Proven ability to make tradeoffs between technical needs and delivering on business opportunities
• Experience in building prototypes and taking a data-driven approach to development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
• A desire to mentor and coach engineers in building stable and scalable code
• Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
About the job
As Principal Engineer on the Homes team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $1B+ travel ecosystem. You will have direct ownership of foundational features and services that will be core to the business going forward, while helping lay the technical groundwork that will enable us to move quickly while ensuring we adhere to a high standard of quality and scalability.
- Help shape the systems design for the Homes vertical and how it integrates with our microservices architecture
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for the services that drive our consumer travel app and web platforms
- Design and help deliver complex features that create amazing experiences for our customers while serving as a model for full life-cycle ownership across systems design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Champion best practices, performance, and reliability when mentoring the team, helping them connect planned work to business strategy and Hopper’s success
- Maintain a balance between quickly prototyping new ideas and running experiments to identify features that customers love, while planning for scalability of mature features and services
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on ensuring Hopper’s success
Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description