At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
You will play a key role working with our world-class engineering team to design, build and support a self service platform. Your focus on engineering autonomy and rapid iteration — while ensuring a solid foundation — will enable Hopper to continue scaling at a rapid pace and stay nimble.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Drive further automation of systems, processes, and services by using containerization and technologies like Kubernetes
- Gain a deep understanding of business needs and work with stakeholders to develop technology solutions that empower our developers
- Evolve monitoring, incident response, and on-call processes
- Leverage public Cloud platforms (IaaS/PaaS/SaaS)
- Expand disaster recovery options by leveraging cloud infrastructure
- Ensure a sound and simple security design of the infrastructure components
- Play a key role in the evolution of our infrastructure roadmap to ensure Hopper is utilizing the right technology for our business needs
- Mentor other engineers on how to develop, test, and deploy software
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Experience managing distributed systems at scale
- Familiarity with Linux or UNIX-like systems
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented or functional programming language
- Experience working in a cross-functional, agile development environment
- Experience translating high-level, ambiguous business goals into concrete actionable items and working software solutions
- A proven track record of incident response and on-call process improvements
- A knowledge of security best practices as they apply to production services
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud (IaaS/PaaS) operations
- Expertise with automation tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet)
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our engineering team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and tries to deliver the best possible experience to our more than 40 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (Boston) or Retirement Savings Plan (Montreal)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!