Principal Software Engineer - Fintech at Toast
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Our team is responsible for processing credit card payments on behalf of our restaurants. Our system is a set of Java Dropwizard services deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware, as well as with partners through our API. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers’ business: we process multiple millions of dollars in transactions every day. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our team as we scale our systems to meet future demands.
About this roll*:
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to our customers’ success
- Lead complex projects that improve functionality and reliability for our customers
- Review code to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentor and coach other engineers
- Learn from our scaling problems, and implement solutions to those problems
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Participate in a scheduled rotation of engineers on your team who respond to production alerts for the services you own
- Investigate and solve payment processing issues to improve the customer experience
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- You have a growth mindset with an emphasis on improving yourself and your team
- You balance getting things done with platform stability
- You have experience shipping critical production services
- You have extensive experience writing Java or another object-oriented language, with a deep understanding of testing, quality, and best practices
- You have experience scaling distributed systems
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not requiredOur Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend
services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user
management, canary deployments, and robust load balancing. We store data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web front-end is built using Angular and ES6. Our main point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform, we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.