Principal Software Engineer, Billing
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role on the team responsible for building our customer billing platform which handles how we charge customers for Toast products and services. At Toast, we connect our proprietary technology platforms with integrations to standard enterprise systems such as ERP (Netsuite), and CRM (Salesforce) to deliver seamless billing experiences for our restaurant clients and supported by our business operations, sales, and customer success teams. These systems, along with others, play a critical role in how we engage and maintain high quality relationships with our customers. We are now a multi-product company, handling several millions of dollars of billing transactions, it is important we bill our customers accurately and transparently. We need your help to build and improve this mission critical part of our product.
As a principal software engineer and enterprise integration architect on the billing team, you will be:
- Working with our CTO, Chief Architect, VP of business systems and other senior technical and product managers to define and drive API and integration standards
- Designing, developing and implementing integration solutions
- Accountable for the overall success of Toast’s enterprise system integrations engineering related to our billing platform
- Refactoring and redesigning key components of our billing infrastructure to support new use cases
- Collaborating with our business applications team to design and implement best practices for integration with standard enterprise applications including ERP (NetSuite), and CRM (Salesforce).
- Architecting and designing our billing microservices cloud to support integration of upstream platforms and product lines.
- Actively involved in data modeling and business process modeling
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
- Actively involved in build/buy/partner decision making with key stakeholders and executives.
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in enterprise application integration patterns and distributed systems architecture patterns including the publish/subscribe pattern
- Experience integrating with an ERP (preferably NetSuite)
- Proficient in Java; Kotlin is a plus
- Proficient in microservices design and deployment
Additional skills are a huge plus (but not mandatory)
- Experience designing and building Cloud-first architectures using AWS
- At least 2 full cycle project implementation involving integration of enterprise systems such as Netsuite, Salesforce, or other Cloud applications
- Experience leading through 606 compliance and revenue recognition automation
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ and Pulsar clusters, as well as direct tablet communication to the back end. Toast leverages standard enterprise applications such as NetSuite and Salesforce for key business operations.