Principal Mechanical Engineer
Markforged, located in Watertown, MA, is growing at an exponential rate and we’re looking for a highly-motivated and experienced engineer who thrives in a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. As a key member of the engineering team, you will be responsible for leading mechanical design efforts across a range of projects.
You will be expected to have a firm grasp of every element required for mechanical product development, including concept generation, design (CAD), analysis, prototyping, test/verification, and transition to manufacturing partners. In some cases you will lead junior engineers and consultants to help accelerate the development process.
You must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with electrical engineering and software development principles will be beneficial.
In this role you will:
- Provide technical leadership to a team of mechanical engineers working on Markforged’s next great innovation
- Represent mechanical engineering to an interdisciplinary team comprised of mechanical, electrical and software engineers, as well as designers, product managers and manufacturing & operations personnel
- Develop and verify new and innovative mechanical design solutions to challenging problems involving (but not limited to):
- Electromechanical actuators & sensors
- Electronics packaging & thermal management
- Thermodynamics and fluid dynamics
- Design for manufacturing (FMEA, DFM and DFT)
- Assist in system modeling and control
- Help create a culture of continuous learning and continuous improvement
- Create and communicate accurate schedules
- Understand all of the program requirements and notify project leadership when you believe something is going out of bounds
What we look for:
- 10+ years hands-on experience designing complex electromechanical products including industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, (M.S. preferred), experience with granular mechanics is very desirable
- Demonstrated ability to produce innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
- Ability to lead a team of mechanical engineers through influence. A willingness to share know-how and best practices learned through your years of real-world experience
- Experience with a number of the following tools is a significant asset JIRA, Matlab, Simulink, FEA (Ansys, Nastran, etc.)
- Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions
- Ability to maintain schedule and work within budgetary constraints
- Ability to drive projects to completion as an owner in your functional domain
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Strong technical background in a number of the following areas: Machine design and kinematic analysis
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks.
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description