Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Who We Are
New Ventures is an innovation program focused on the creation of new products and new businesses at Toast. Our teams operate much like a seed-stage startup within Toast. And, like a startup, we expect to move fast and learn along the way.
About This Roll* (Responsibilities)
- Work closely with the leads to identify high-impact opportunities
- Rapidly prototype solutions using a combination of web technologies
- Make technical decisions and recommendations that will lay the foundation for the future of our strategy
As a Principal software engineer on the New Ventures team, you will be:
- Designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable web and mobile applications
- Participating in designing, estimating effort, implementing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating and documenting database, middle-tier and front-end code
- Diagnosing performance bottlenecks and implementing optimizations
- Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
- Surveying and evaluating available technology options
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Qualities & Essential Skills)
- 10+ years of experience developing web applications using JS frameworks such as React or Angular
- Proficient with traditional databases and alternative data stores
- Proficient in building single-page applications for the web using any combination of Angular, Backbone, jQuery, etc.
- Well-versed in tiered web application architecture and database design patterns
- Passionate about building great software
- A lifelong learner
- Previous exposure to a SaaS product is a plus
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.