Open Source Software Engineer II at edX
Open Source Software Engineer II
You will work on a team focused on enabling edX’s Open Source initiative to thrive. Your impact will run deep! The Open edX® team is harnessing the energy of a growing community running thousands of online learning sites today. You will coordinate engineering efforts and collaboratively build frameworks that maximize developer flow and valuable contributions.
The Open edX team sits at the heart of the edX Open Source community. Every day, it tackles complex challenges and advances our core architecture to support the growth and involvement of the community. In this role, you’ll work with a team to influence and improve the platform, while positively impacting millions of lives. (Did we mention that -- today -- we have more than 35k courses, reaching 55M+ learners, hosted on the Open edX software?)
Headquartered in the heart of Cambridge’s Technology Square, we also accept applications from remote employees in the following US states: MA, CO, CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT.
- Support the growth of the Open edX platform by fostering collaboration between edX engineering and the international Open edX community
- Build plugin frameworks, APIs, documentation, and processes in order to build a generative ecosystem
- Communicate technical plans and schedules with peers and the Open edX community
- Work with engineering, product, UX, and the community to deliver value
- Proactively communicate status and roadblocks
- Diagnose and fix bugs
- Perform on-call duties for areas of team ownership
- 2+ years of full-stack development experience
- Demonstrated effective written and spoken communication and ability to collaborate as part of a team
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Strong communication skills and enthusiasm for engaging with a global community through pull requests, events, and working groups
- Experience or interest in Open Source software (ideally, participation in one or more projects)
- Enthusiasm for Agile/Scrum processes
- Basic understanding of UX design
- Background with website accessibility and performance
- Interest in pair programming
- Strong detail orientation
- Ability to manage both technical and non-technical projects
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
That’s why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply… even if you can’t “check every box.” We’d love to hear from you!
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.