Lead Software Engineer
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). By combining great products, student data, and research on best practices, Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with 550+ public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong and growing team, and are looking for entrepreneurs who can help lead the company through the next phase of growth.
This is where you come in…
As a Team Lead Engineer, you will have a lead role in building dynamic web applications and services, help implement complex data and API integrations, and drive the conception-to-design-to-implementation product development process. You will be responsible for leading a small team of engineers to achieve specific long-term objectives for one of our products or initiatives through a combination of coding, architecture/design and mentoring.
As a Team Lead Engineer, you will inspire and guide your team to reach lofty and amazing goals through coaching and your proven ability to collaborate with product owners, senior executives and other engineers. As an integral member of our Engineering group, you will be asked to create, contribute to, and own pieces of our software development platform and ecosystem. Just as important, we are looking for someone who wants to be in a startup, has tremendous communication skills, and is motivated and a self-starter. You will help mold bright young engineers into skilled technical peers.
You are expected to take on and own vital initiatives and duties for the company, spark and lead discussion, and help establish the company’s technical direction while providing timely and quality support and education across the organization. This is a tremendous opportunity to build the engineering foundation of the company.
In this role, you will:
- Coding and Implementation (40-50%) -- Direct, hands-to-keyboard programming using existing and new tools and languages in order to deliver product requirements, build prototypes, and enhance features;
- Architecture and Design (25-35%) -- Lead design and code reviews, evaluate new technologies and define best practices and technical guidelines for the team;
- Coaching and Mentorship (25%) -- Advise and guide the members of your team (2-3 software engineers) to meet personal and team objectives through regular check-ins, feedback sessions and coaching. Serve as a technical thought partner by actively questioning and reflecting during the design and implementation process. Set up the members of your team for success. Help recruit, build and support amazing engineers.
- At least 8-10 years of technical expertise, including recent engineering experience with high-performance, enterprise-facing websites and/or SaaS platforms.
- Demonstrated success leading, recruiting and managing a small team in a rapidly-changing, collaborative, and iterative product development environment.
- Values clean and elegant but pragmatic and effective software design in order to meet deadlines with high-quality software.
- Experience working within an Agile organization (scrum, “lean”, etc.)
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- Very strong communication skills; ability to communicate clearly both orally and verbally to audiences of varying technical knowledge. Comfortable in front of a whiteboard and discussing both high level architecture and as well as coding/algorithms.
- Expert in problem-solving across the stack and decomposing complex projects and systems into manageable tasks. Can identify creative and innovative solutions in a high-availability, rapidly-scaling enterprise environment.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here’s some other perks that make us unique:
- Great location in Boston - a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop
- Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
- Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
- Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
- On-site gym, game room and darts with corkboards behind them to support all levels of athleticism
- Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!