This is a terrific opportunity for a smart and collaborative technologist to join our Engineering organization and lead one of our development squads. At Forward Financing, our mission is to be the leading provider of financing solutions to under-served small businesses. As one of the fastest growing companies in Massachusetts, we are at the forefront of growth in the FinTech space. We are 100% dedicated to this vertical and to achieving our mission.
In this role, you will be the lead developer for one of our five agile development teams charged with creating robust and scalable software solutions for our partners, merchants, underwriters, sales agents and payment specialists. 80% of your time will be focused on either independent development or supporting the development efforts of the engineers on your team.
You will report directly to Technology Leadership and collaborate frequently with engineers at all levels working on web applications, data management tools, QA automation, and DevOps.
In this role you will:
- Be a developer first, focusing 80%+ of your time building features to drive sustainable and measurable value to the business by
- developing web applications, libraries, systems integrations and microservices
- partnering closely with your product owner to define the technical requirements and implementation plan to satisfy the business objectives
- Provide hands-on technical mentorship and direction for the 3-4 engineers on your team and create the foundation for a high-performing, agile unit that can scale to meet the strong demand and exciting opportunities resulting from our explosive growth
- Actively contribute to the simplification, security, and fortification of the platform by
- avoiding bugs in correctness-critical areas of the code base
- finding solutions to increase the testability, engineering ease and extendability of services across the ecosystem
- developing components that are well-designed, documented and tested, with a design that matches the desired architecture of the system
- Increase the productivity, predictability and throughput of the technology team by
- participating in, following and improving our development process
- using good judgment when evaluating tradeoffs between speed, quality and cost
- embracing and sharing best practices, domain knowledge, documentation and learning
- Contribute to the Forward Financing culture and serving as a positive ambassador for the technology team
- Passionate: High energy. “Can-do-attitude”. Enthusiastic. Optimistic, open, and objective toward others.
- Coachable: Open to feedback and continual professional improvement. Flexible and adaptable.
- High Standards: Quality orientation. Follow through on commitments. A Doer who gets things done.
- Efficient: Producing significant output with minimal wasted effort, organized planning and prioritization.
- Proactive: Self-starter, continually seeks additional responsibilities. willingness to go the distance to get something done, including working long hours at times if needed.
- Collaborative: Strong “people orientation”. Can disagree without being abrasive or intimidating. Team player.
- Emotional Intelligence: high degree of self-awareness. Handles interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. Exercises good judgement while under pressure.
- Communicator: Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative and possesses an openness to people and a willingness to hear what others are saying.
- 5+ years building and supporting web applications as a full stack engineer or combination of frontend and backend experience compatible with the technologies we are leveraging on our team
- Experience mentoring other engineers or taking on informal leadership responsibilities (formal management experience not required)
- Openness to working with a blended remote/co-located team
- Experience architecting or developing across complex systems (service oriented architecture would be a plus)
- Experience managing data and application security requirements (including solid SQL/ relational DB experience)
- Strong communication skills among engineers and stakeholders
- Experience working in a high-performing agile environment
- Experience with multi-team planning and coordination
- Experience delivering measurable business value through engineering
Forward Financing is a Boston-based financial technology company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable working capital to small and medium-size businesses nationwide. By combining proprietary technology with a team of small business financing experts, Forward Financing delivers same day funding with the speed and simplicity business owners need to succeed and grow. With a simple online application, businesses can trust Forward Financing for approvals within minutes, funding within hours, and personalized support and service when they need it most.
Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $400m in funding to more than 10,000 small businesses. Consistently recognized as an industry leader, the company is A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau and receives top ratings across all major customer review platforms. In 2017 and 2018, Forward Financing was named by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal as one of the fastest growing companies in Massachusetts. Learn more at www.forwardfinancing.com
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too! We offer a competitive compensation package for highly qualified candidates that are extremely motivated, have a positive attitude, and are able to ramp up quickly. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with gym reimbursement, 401K, paid volunteering days and a matching gift program. We work in an open environment with a start-up vibe, conveniently located just steps away from South Station and conveniently located to all major "T" lines. You will have the opportunity to work with people who enjoy a fun, social office culture, as well as wonderful engineers all over the world.