Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus’ Developer Experience team is hiring a Lead Design Engineer. The DevX team plays a key role for CarGurus to operate at scale and improve developer efficiency. We are constantly modernizing our technology platform and are looking to define key architectural capabilities, and guide development teams on their successful implementation. We own most of the core infrastructure that enables teams to build UIs.What You’ll Do:
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship with the possibility of managing a team in the future
- Develop extendible, responsive, accessible components using TypeScript/React, CSS Modules, and Storybook
- Maintain a Figma library of components and design tokens (colors, typography, spacing)
- Attend UX design reviews, and act as the liaison between UX Design and Engineering
- Manage versioned component releases, assisting product teams with adoption and reviewing code implementation
- Partner with the UX team to envision the future of our design system
- Ability and interest in technical leadership and mentoring more junior engineers
- Highly proficient with HTML and CSS
- Experience in component driven design and systems thinking
- Experience working with and building a design system
- Skilled with written communication and documentation
- Sharp eye for UI design and page layout
- Familiarity with Storybook, Jest, CSS Modules, and Figma
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.