At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying and taking process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Hopper has launched several bespoke fintech products that leverage our immense first and third-party data to create products and value that do not exist elsewhere - including Refundable and Flexible Tickets and Price Freeze. Thanks to these offerings, Hopper’s revenue growth is up 112% despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
With over $250M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration to becoming the world’s fastest-growing end-to-end customer-centric travel offering.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 50 million times and sees over 1 million new installs per month. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019.
Come take off with us!
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join a rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Lead Cloud Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for cloud architecture, configuration, deployment and site reliability engineering for Hopper's growing B2B business. We're looking for passionate engineers that enjoy partnering with software engineering teams to build and maintain automation to accelerate cloud adoption. You will be asked to leverage your understanding of public cloud architectural design and Hopper's software to design and implement solutions that are secure, scalable and operationally sound. Are you ready to come help architect the future Hopper with us?
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
The perfect candidate will possess the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization. They will remain calm under pressure and always strive to add structure to high-pressure, fast paced tasks or projects.
- Deep expertise with GCP and/or AWS
- Experience leading a team of engineers on large scale projects
- Experience running a mission critical service at scale
- Experience working with configuration, CICD and orchestration technologies (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Ansible, etc)
- Experience with physical and cloud networking
- Demonstrated expertise securing public cloud accounts, ideally in a hybrid-cloud model
- Strong background in Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, Software Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Fluency in least one modern programming language (Python, Go, Scala, etc)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Worked in Agile delivery teams and environment
- Experience creating automated solutions & eagerness to automate
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and the ability to use influence as effectively as direct control
- Working Knowledge of Terraform, Vault and other DevOps/Service tools
- Prior experience as a Linux System Administrator, ideally CentOS
- Experience with managing hosted services/SaaS
- Experience mentoring and training other team members
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership to build alignment between cloud, security and application architectures
- Drive solutions that improve our infrastructure capabilities, optimizing for security, cost, and operational simplicity
- Design, implement, and maintain the automation/services that seamlessly spans multiple data centers and cloud providers
- Work with cross organizational teams to develop best-in-breed solutions to complex problems
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Participate in on-call rotation and travel as needed
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our engineering team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and tries to deliver the best possible experience we can to our more than 40 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)