Head of Carbon Operations
At Indigo, our mission is: harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We started down this path leveraging microbiology, but we have quickly expanded across the entire agriculture supply chain.
IndigoCarbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. The Terraton Initiative is working to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to make it happen. If you’ve been looking for a disruptive, tech-enabled company with super talented people that is tackling thorny, ambiguous but incredibly inspiring problems, we’d love to hear from you.
This role is essential. A carbon credit or a carbon offset is, fundamentally, a data product. You can’t see it, touch it, or feel it. If we say “this smallholder farmer in India removed 4 tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere”, that claim is only as good as the data we have to support it and how easily, accessibly, and clearly we package and communicate those data. The Head of Carbon Operations is responsible for the quality, rigor, and credibility of our carbon claims.
At a car company, the Chief Operating Officer is responsible for making sure cars are manufactured on time, with minimal defects, and cost effectively. This role is our COO of Carbon Credits/Offsets.
They will play a critical role connecting (a) the teams that sell our credits (e.g., the teams that sell credits to businesses, consumers, governments, etc.) and (b) the teams that help create our credits (e.g., agronomists, data scientists, soil scientists, satellite/geospatial analysts, product managers, etc.). In a single day, you may ask yourself all of these questions:
- Why is a Fortune 50 company so interested in buying our credits? (i.e., you would work with our carbon offset sales team)
- How can we make our soil sampling more cost effective? (i.e., you would work with our Innovation team)
- How should we design the app that lets growers enter their own data accurately and quickly? (i.e., you would work with the product management team who develops farmer-facing applications)
It’s a dynamic role that requires both business pragmatism and technical aptitude. In this role, you will be responsible for helping us create the most credible, rigorous, transparent carbon offsets ever. Please note: you don’t have to be an expert in soil science, data science or satellite imagery analytics. We have teams that focus on that. All you have to be is excited to learn about those enough that you can apply a business lens to pressure testing technical ideas. This role reports to Ed Smith, VP and Head of Carbon Markets and the Terraton Initiative.
The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
- Own the credibility, rigor, and transparency of Indigo’s carbon offsets/credits
- Own and constantly optimize the end-to-end process for creating carbon credits, including all touch points with the myriad cross-functional teams that contribute (e.g., Innovation, Agronomy, GeoInnovation, Data Science, Product Management, Engineering, etc.) to balance accuracy and cost
- Build a diverse Carbon Operations team of A+ players to effectively manage and optimize the carbon credit creation process
- Develop and oversee processes that enable all cross-functional partners to stay informed and aligned
- Oversee the creation and dissemination of reporting tools that enable critical partners to stay informed on the performance of the carbon credit creation process
- Ability to set a vision and drive results across multiple teams in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment
- Ability to build and lead a large team comprised of a mix of generalists and technical experts
- Analytical, process-oriented thinker who can look at data, draw insights and implement changes to improve processes
- Significant attention to detail, organizational skills, and passion for getting it right
- Ability to interact with, mobilize, align, and inspire cross-functional teams
- Ability to “roll up their sleeves to get things done”
- Understanding of and experience with data processes
- Ability to see the simplicity on the far side of complexity
- Ability to communicate well to senior audiences (e.g., C-suite, Board of Directors, etc.)
- Strong bias for action
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Aligned with our core values and excited about Indigo’s mission
- 10+ years’ work experience with both generalist-business responsibilities and technical responsibilities
- Proven ability to manage, build and empower a large, high-performing, technical team
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience managing complex and fast-paced projects with a high degree of ambiguity
- Experience overseeing complex processes at a large industrial or digital operation
- Proven track record of working with business partners and technical partners to design, deliver, and improve on efficient operations
- Experience managing a “data product”
- Experience with technical modeling
- This role is based in Boston, some travel to be expected
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.