Engineering Manager, Platform
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast’s Platform group is a set of software engineering teams that design and build the infrastructure that is critical to scaling our billion-dollar company. The Platform teams are focused on our microservice architecture, database scalability, efficient syncing of Toast tablet data to the cloud, and our large-scale analytics platform. Platform projects typically involve challenging technical topics like highly concurrent systems, designing for performance and scalability, developing reusable frameworks, and building robust distributed systems. Our customer base and our product are growing at incredible rates, so there are always new challenges to tackle!
As Engineering Manager, you will lead your teams to deliver work that impacts Toast’s success, and you will grow the capabilities of the engineers on your teams over time. You love finding ways to make your teams more efficient. You help connect their work to Toast’s broader mission. You care deeply about helping the people whom you manage grow into excellent engineers and great teammates. You are interested in the technical work, with enough experience to make sure that engineers are moving in the right direction. On a given day, you might be reviewing design documents and PRs, coordinating discussions between teams, collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders, and conducting 1:1s with team members.
Here are some things that Engineering Managers at Toast have done to drive impact within their teams and across the organization:
- Coach individual contributors for professional and technical development
- Mentor both new and experienced Team Leads in leadership
- Guide teams to build systems that will scale to the next order of magnitude of growth
- Grow teams to meet business needs
- Drive knowledge sharing programs across the engineering organization
- Manage the co-op and intern program
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Comfort with a rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Experience writing, delivering, and operating software in a SaaS environment
- Enjoy hopping into new codebases and finding your way around
- 2+ years mentoring and growing successful teams
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance getting things done with making things perfect
- A strong sense of empathy for customers and teammates
- A desire to build a diverse team that wins together and prioritizes customer success
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.