Engineering Manager, Developer Experience at ezCater
ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in the U.S. We make it superbly easy for businesspeople to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
ezCater values technology as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
We are looking for a top-notch, hands-on Engineering Manager to join and lead our newly formed Developer Experience team and program. In scope for this program are:
- Tooling & Processes: the creation of tooling and processes to make us an amazing place to be a developer
- Shared Libraries: the creation and maintenance of shared libraries to improve productivity, consistency, testing, and inter-service development.
This program is responsible for improving the development experience here at ezCater, making it easier for developers to do what they love -- write and ship high quality code. We are dedicated to removing friction as well as paving the way for quicker delivery of features via shared tooling, docs, templates, standards, and libraries.
Our technology and development stack consists of :
- Kubernetes, Jenkins, CircleCI, Amazon Web Services
- Ruby (and Ruby on Rails), Node.js, React, and Python
- PostgreSQL (AWS RDS), Redis (AWS ElastiCache), and Kafka
- Help build the vision for ezCater’s Developer Experience program. This is a brand new program that you will help grow and evolve.
- Be hands on -- contribute to the architecture, code, and documentation which handles the ezCater Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Grow and manage a team of 3-5 talented engineers
- Work empathically with developers within tight feedback cycles to build systems and tools that make the process of writing and shipping code easier and more enjoyable
- Have experience with all facets of people management - hiring, performance reviews, budgeting, career pathing etc.
- Thrive in a highly collaborative, no red-tape, rapid-growth environment. Things shift quickly here, so comfort with ambiguity is requiredHave a passion for the creation of tooling and processes that make a developers lives easier, more enjoyable, and more efficient
- Are experienced with initiatives and programs tailored towards support of engineering organizations
- Are a systems thinker capable of establishing a clear vision and strategy
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and are an effective influencer
- Have managed and effectively grown talented engineers in the past
In summary, we are looking for an experienced developer, dedicated to helping other developers, that wants to manage a team and program to make engineering a success. Be that person!What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized T-passes, a great office smack-dab in Boston’s Downtown Crossing, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.