Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you bready* for a change?
The Data Platform is a key component of Toast’s infrastructure responsible for normalization of operational records for tens of thousands of restaurants and integration of records across diverse microservices. The Data Platform team is building a massively-scalable data plane on AWS using Spark, Avro and Parquet to meet this challenge.
As an Engineering Manager for the Data Platform team you will lead the team’s work on building and maintaining our scalable, high performance infrastructure. This hands-on role will enable you to make a significant business impact by driving the work of a small and capable team while making your own technical contribution. You will be responsible for the overall success of the team in delivering customer-centric business outcomes.
About this roll*: (Responsibilities)
- Create relevant, timely and realistic development plans for the Data Platform team based on product management roadmaps and architecture strategy. Collaborate with engineers, PMs and key stakeholders in multiple lines of business within Toast.
- Track execution of development plans using Agile methodologies and work with the team on continuous improvement of our development practices and most importantly, increasing the business impact
- Collaborate cross functionally on business critical projects to ensure end-to-end adoption of the data platform
- Directly contribute to creating new Data Platform functionality by applying best practices and enabling the team, by ensuring that architecture, designs and test plans are complete
- Guide professional development and career advancement of the engineers on the team
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 2+ experience managing engineering teams in systems / platform domain
- 5+ years of experience in Java or another JVM based language with object-oriented and functional components
- Distributed systems experience, ideally within a cloud-based microservice-style deployment. (Familiarity with DynamoDB, S3, Kafka, Docker and/or Spark is a plus)
- Proven track record of delivering integration work in complex, cross-functional environments
- Former teammates who rave about your ability to clearly communicate, empathize with the customer, and provide constructive and friendly feedback when there is room for improvement.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required