Engineering Manager, Consumer Products
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus’ Consumer Team is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the team in Cambridge, MA. On the Consumer Team, you'll provide technical leadership in a fast-paced, data-driven environment. Your team will improve and build new product offerings to help our users find the car they're looking for as efficiently as possible. Potential project opportunities include devising and building A/B tests that incrementally enhance our core Listings product for millions of users, collecting feedback directly from customers to help shape and drive the vision of our products, and collaborating across multiple teams and disciplines to build functionality that continues to transform the car buying process.
What You’ll Do:
Leadership: We’re seeking an individual who embodies CarGurus’ Leadership Principles to build a culture where inclusiveness is a reflex, not an initiative. We envision a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential to work every day – where they don’t just fit, they thrive.
- Lead yourself: Our leaders are intentional about how they show up, manage themselves, and take ownership for their decisions and the impact they have on others.
- Create a shared purpose: Our leaders tap into motivation by aligning people around a common purpose. They connect strategy and success by focusing their teams on clear objectives and helping people understand how their individual roles impact our collective mission.
- Inspire ownership and accountability: Our leaders create a shared commitment to success and therefore a mutual accountability for results. They enable and empower others, but know when to roll up their sleeves and provide support. The best leaders develop more leaders.
- Communicate openly: Our leaders communicate proactively and clearly about goals, challenges, and opportunities. They listen with the intent to understand. They seek opportunities to collaborate across the business.
- Invest in growth: Our leaders embody a growth mentality. They challenge themselves and their teams to be curious and actively seek opportunities for learning and improvement, even when it’s uncomfortable.
- Cultivate environments of respect and trust: Our leaders care about people. They value varied perspectives and are committed to building a culture where everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work together!
Influencing and inspiring engineers will be paramount in the success of this role. You will facilitate cross-team collaboration and will use your leadership expertise to drive groups with disparate interests to decisions, seeing these through to impact. You will make pragmatic decisions, balancing strategic and tactical needs. You will help Senior Leadership manage engineering risk and make sure we are making the right trade-off calls.
Technical Expertise: This is a coaching and leading role in which you will be an important influence to core projects and experimental work. When presented with a complex problem, process, or existing system, you can reduce its complexity to get more done with less work. You will collaborate with tech leads and engineers throughout the organization to provide technical guidance. Your technical guidance will mean team members working with you will feel like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they arrived with and will have learned something along the way.
- Lead whiteboard sessions and architecture design conversations while engineering a solution to the challenges at hand.
- Ensure your team writes clean, well-tested, and efficient code.
- Collaborate with product management, data analysts and other engineers to identify and scope opportunities
- Contribute to roadmap definition
- Make data driven decisions
- Monitor and improve upon the performance of products and solutions
- Be an owner of critical pieces of software
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of product software development experience
- Previous leadership experience
- Expertise with Java or similar object-oriented languages
- Strong understanding of MySQL or similar relational database
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- People focused technical leader
- Excellent collaborator with proven experience working in a cross-functional team including Product, Design, Analytics
- Excellent communicator who can tailor messaging based on audience, which can range from junior engineers to senior business leaders to third-party vendors
- Detail oriented leader who makes data driven decisions
Please keep reading...
We know imposter syndrome is real and many folks tend to only apply when they check every box. If you are interested in this opportunity, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still apply! We'd love to get to know you and see if you could be a great fit.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.