Engineering Manager - Application Performance Monitoring (APM) at Datadog
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The team is composed of multiple language experts, who are writing open source code that instruments tens of thousands of distributed applications written in Go, Python, Ruby, Node, PHP, Java, .NET and Proxies (NGINX, Istio, etc…).
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and grow the teams building our APM product that traces requests as they flow across complex systems. You’ll join at an ideal time to make a big impact, the product is seeing very high growth, with many new features to build as well as a need for scaling up dramatically. You’ll be involved in every step of the process—defining product, managing the team, recruiting excellent engineers.
- Manage and grow distributed teams of talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they’re happy, motivated, and growing
- Drive our open source projects and engage with the different languages communities to find and address the most important challenges; in observability, we work directly with growing communities such as OpenTelemetry
- Work with the product team to flesh out the future of the product
- Work with other managers in the US and in Europe to deliver cross-cutting projects
- Contribute to shaping the future of the engineering organisation
- You have been building applications for 6+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have managed remote teams of software engineers
- You have significant experience in at least one of the following languages: Python, Java, Go, .NET, Ruby, Node, C++ or PHP
- You’ve recruited a team of engineers before
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You’ve built a non-trivial application from scratch that sees significant user traffic
- You are a great community ambassador and can drive hard technical conversations towards a good solution
- You have deep experience with observability products
- You have experience with distributed systems