Director, R&D Enablement at Toast
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Bready* to make a change?
As the Toast R&D team continues to expand year over year, we are investing heavily to ensure that our new and existing employees can thrive in their roles. This includes improving our onboarding experience, as well as provide continuing learning and development opportunities to our existing team. This role complements our aggressive hiring and growth plans for the company: the enablement team’s mission is to increase dramatically the R&D organization’s ability to make an impact through investments in people and process. Our goal is to be a world-class product and engineering organization and a rewarding place for top performers.
As the Director, R&D Enablement, you will be responsible for implementing enablement programs across our Product, Software, Hardware, DevOps, QA, and UX teams and incrementally driving higher productivity across the organization. This will include onboarding and on-going training for individual contributors as well as leaders at all levels. You will hire and manage a team to execute on your vision. This is a high impact, high visibility and new area within Toast.
About this roll*:
- Develop and implement an enablement strategy: With senior leaders across R&D, develop a vision for enablement, along with the concrete objectives and key results that will be needed to achieve that vision over time. Manage a team to these OKRs.
- Build the R&D Enablement Team: Hire a team capable of executing on our vision. You will directly manage and coach a team of specialists and coordinators that will train our international, multi-functional organization. This team will grow and evolve over time.
- Create appropriate process and infrastructure: Coordinate with the Toast L&D team as well as enablement functions in other departments to select or create the appropriate tools, process and other infrastructure needed to implement and scale enablement programs. Examples may include survey tools, CMS and LMS.
- Dive in as needed: As R&D enablement is still nascent, there will be the need to do hands-on work. This can range from developing and delivering specific trainings to helping manage logistics.
- Special Projects: Ad-hoc project work as needed, as we grow our engineering enablement program. Collaborate with other specialists as well as engineering leadership in order to identify areas that can benefit from targeted improvements.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 5+ years in an L&D or enablement function, including familiarity with instructional design, learning management systems, ROI measurement
- 3+ years of managing individual contributors
- 3+ years working in or with a geographically distributed R&D team of at least 100 employees
- Enjoy interacting with new people, whether new hires or existing employees, across the company, in an open and inclusive way
- A track record of successfully managing and delivering complex cross-functional projects
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A technical/STEM background beneficial (e.g., comfortable with basic data analysis and software development concepts)
- Naturally intellectually curious, looking to learn and grow
- Excited with helping shape a growing team at Toast
*Bread puns encouraged but not required