Markforged is reinventing manufacturing so you can build anything you imagine. As the fastest-growing additive manufacturing company in the US, Markforged provides the most affordable metal and carbon fiber 3D printers on the market. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged products for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and production parts to optimize their manufacturing operations and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 300 employees globally and $137 million in both strategic and venture capital.
Our software technologies and tools empower our customers to configure print-ready parts, visualize part geometry in 3D, and push to IoT-connected printers for printing. As part of the Software Engineering team, you would be helping to lead the scaling and growth of our 3D printing platform involving end-customer applications and IoT services.
As a Software Engineer in DevOps, you'd be creating significant impact through infrastructure ownership and responsibility in a high-energy environment. Your ideas will enable scaling the growth of our software product capabilities in IoT and Cloud, while having the unique opportunity to collaborate and engage with best-in-class engineers across Software, EE, MechE and MatSci.
In order to succeed in this role, you'll be a self starter and have a real passion for software engineering-driven DevOps culture. You don't need prior experience with 3D printing or our software stack; we trust you can learn those skills on the job with compelling technical expertise.
You will build cloud infrastructure automation, handle CI/CD pipeline, improve monitoring and security of infrastructure, calibrate alerting and incident response procedures, and support software engineers in identifying and analyzing performance bottlenecks. You will develop testable scripts to maintain infrastructure-as-code and operate customer-facing web applications and IoT-cloud services with high uptime requirements.
In this role you will:
- Design and develop tools for automating provisioning, configuring and deployment of web applications and services
- Write automation scripts following best-practice coding principles
- Lead improving the infrastructure to ensure high availability and performance of software components are upheld
- Maintain scalable logging and monitoring infrastructure for deployed services
- Work with peer software engineers to design resilient, scalable and robust cloud and IoT services
- Continually evaluate the security of our systems and applications, with an emphasis on data security
- Collaborate with software engineers to figure out tool requirements, then drive the implementation, documentation, maintenance, and improvement of these tools
- Build automation for routine, simple, and complex tasks
- Tackle problems and resolve active production issues
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Learn, extend, and maintain our build, deploy, config, metrics, and alerting systems
What we look for:
- 3+ years of operations engineering experience supporting global 24x7x365 web applications and cloud services
- Excellent command of at least one programming/scripting language (Ex: Bash, Python, Go). You practice developing scalable and testable code.
- A strong desire to minimize the operational overhead of systems, large and small
- Expertise with AWS (EC2, VPC, S3, RDS, ElastiCache, IAM, KMS)
- Experience with operationalizing several large scale deployments
- Expertise at solving infrastructure problems in complex customer-facing enterprise systems
- Experience supporting CI/CD platforms and related software development tools
- Experience with how enterprise IT organizations manage firewalls, proxies, and TLS certificates
- Working knowledge of Postgres and Redis
- Hands-on experience with Linux, security, and networking fundamentals
- Experience working in agile methodology
- A passion for ownership and technical perfection
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience
- Verbal/Written English Communication is required
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more.
Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks.
You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description