Carbon Quantification Director
At Indigo, our mission is: harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We started down this path leveraging microbiology, but we have quickly expanded across the entire agriculture supply chain. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
Indigo Carbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. The Terraton Initiative seeks to remove one trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to come to fruition. If you’ve been looking for a disruptive, tech-enabled company with super talented people tackling a thorny, ambiguous but incredibly inspiring problems, we’d love to hear from you.
The Systems Innovation team plays a critical role in enabling Indigo’s carbon drawdown ambitions. We’re a team of deeply collaborative minds across a range of disciplines who serve as the bridge between Indigo’s business strategies and technical functions across the company. We recognize that critical problems in agriculture require systems solutions combining data, technology, biology, and human behavior. To support Indigo Carbon, our team is developing soil sampling strategies that balance measurement error and statistical uncertainty with return on investment considerations for growers. We are building a technology pipeline of current and future approaches to cheaply and accurately measure and model soil carbon changes in agricultural soils. We are also designing the Terraton Experiment, a 10+ year collaborative and open study that will lay the foundations for mapping management practices to soil carbon outcomes across the globe.
The role of the Carbon Quantification Director will be to lead a group of technical and business experts in developing world-class approaches to quantifying how much carbon has been removed from the atmosphere and stored in agricultural soils.
- Build the strategy and vision for how Indigo will measure and model carbon emissions reductions and soil carbon sequestration changes over time, including setting a rigorous approach to establishing carbon baselines in 2019
- Build relationships with key internal stakeholders and become familiar with current solutions, challenges, and possible paths forward
- Develop team architecture and make key technical and business hires within the Systems Innovation team to support carbon quantification efforts
- Own landscape and develop vision of current and future technologies for cost-effectively and accurately quantifying sequestered carbon and reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Build and maintain a cost benefit model that enables Indigo to estimate the economic viability of any carbon project, regardless of geography or crop
- Build and manage an external scientific advisory board providing guidance on Indigo’s carbon quantification methods
- Collaborate with Field Data Services and Agronomy teams to refine data collection protocols for soil sampling and analysis to ensure data flows smoothly through entire process
- Become the spokesperson and thought leader for Indigo Carbon quantification methods
- Able to go deep with technical experts and distill complex concepts into actionable and digestible insights
- Strong bias towards action
- Rigorous and quantitative approach to problem solving
- Significant attention to detail, organizational skills, and passion for getting it right
- Strong communication skills; able to verbally and visually explain complex topics to senior audiences (e.g. C-level executives and board members)
- Able to collaborate with and translate between technical and business experts
- Proactive and self-directed
- Able to work across functions within an organization and lead cross-departmental projects
- Enjoys a fast-paced work environment and is comfortable working through broad and oftentimes undefined challenges/problems
- Able to seek pragmatic or innovative solutions to ambiguous problems
- Aligned with our core values and excited about Indigo’s mission
- 8+ years of work experience in consulting, technical, innovation, or design field required
- Undergraduate degree required (technical focus preferred)
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience building and leading a high-performing team solving multi-disciplinary technical and business challenges required
- Experience with data analytics, modeling, statistics, and/or machine learning preferred
- Experience with technical product management or development preferred
- Experience interfacing with software engineering teams and their capabilities preferred
- Based in Boston, some travel to be expected
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.