Backend Engineer, Dealer Solutions
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
Our B2B engineering team, Dealer Solutions, is looking for a Backend Engineer to join the team in Cambridge, MA. On the Dealer Solutions team you’ll enhance or create new product offerings for car dealers to help their vehicles reach interested shoppers. Potential project opportunities: create algorithms to identify fraudulent listings to help protect consumers and dealers, create interfaces on top of third party tools, create micro-services to improve application scalability and flexibility, and gain hands on experience with the ad-tech domain through on site and search engine marketing.What You’ll Do:
- Work in a cross-functional team with data analysts, product managers, and of course other engineers to solve interesting problems with a global impact
- Collaborate with and be mentored by seasoned engineers.
- Participate in whiteboard sessions and design conversations on engineering the best solution to the challenges at hand.
- Write clean, well-tested, and efficient code.
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring and improving software
- Make data driven decisions
- 1 - 4 years of software development experience
- Expertise with Java or similar object-oriented languages
- Working knowledge of MySQL or similar relational database
- Some experience with building scalable websites (e-commerce) or large-scale applications preferred
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Plays well with others
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and data-driven. We have a great respect for testing and learning, and a healthy aversion to meaningless meetings. We’re committed to diversity and inclusion because we want all employees to have a sense of belonging. To power you through the day, our kitchens are stocked with snacks and drinks. Lunch is catered daily. All employees are shareholders. We believe that giving back is important, so we have established an Open Source Fund and Charitable Giving program which make quarterly donations to employee recommended organizations. We recognize that everyone has a life outside of the office which is why we have flexible schedules and unlimited personal time.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI, Dublin, IE, and London, UK. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.
Individuals seeking employment at CarGurus are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.