Back End Engineer
Are you obsessed with data? Are you excited by the opportunity to build great integration tools and services that streamline the high-performance processing of millions of student records? Do you believe that workflows should be defined as code?
The success of Ellevation’s products depends on the efficient movement of data from external sources into the Ellevation platform. We are looking for an experienced Back-End Engineer who can bring great problem-solving skills to address the challenge of transforming, validating, and loading many heterogeneous data sets at scale.
As a key member of an agile squad focused on data engineering, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and deploying the essential services, components and libraries in C#, Python, and SQL that comprise Ellevation’s data and third-party integration capabilities. You will define our data integration architecture, be a technical mentor to a large team of junior engineer and analysts, and own the vision of what our thousands of data transformation workflows will look like in the years and terabytes to come. You’ll also be prototyping, evaluating new technologies, and helping to enable our data analytics and warehousing initiatives.
- You have the battle scars to explain why CSV isn’t the best format for exchanging data, or why sometimes Microsoft SSIS just won’t cut it.
- You can explain what a directed acyclic graph (DAG) is.
- You’re intrigued at the prospects of building the infrastructure that enables modular and operationally robust data processing pipelines.
- You value clean and elegant, but pragmatic and effective, software design. There are times for craftsmanship, but at the end of the day, we must solve customer challenges.
- You’re energized by the success of fellow engineers whom you mentor and coach.
- You're a team-player that thrives in a dynamic environment where there can be degrees of ambiguity.
- Experienced in Microsoft .NET stack server-side development: C#, Entity Framework/Dapper, LINQ.
- Firm knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or similar RDBMS (stored procedures, views, indexes, query plans)
- Expertise with Python (including packages such as Pandas)
- Interest or experience with Apache Airflow or similar Python workflow frameworks.
- Familiarity with data interchange standards such as CEDS, Ed-Fi, or EDI is a plus but not required.
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). By combining great products, student data, and research on best practices, Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with nearly 600 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong and growing team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
Learn more about our culture here: