API Software Engineer, Marketplace at Indigo
As an API Engineer on the Marketplace team, you’ll create scalable, distributed systems that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power web, mobile, and desktop applications empowering thousands of farmers throughout the world to sustainably feed the planet.
Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced and sold—in the U.S. now, and soon around the world. Today, growers don’t have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers’ main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible.
Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers and preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic and similarly desirable crops.
Your expertise in software interface design and architecture will help us deliver a flexible backend to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
As an API engineer at Indigo you’ll:
- Lead features end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating risks and issues to stakeholders, and working together to find a path forward
- Help design and implement performant APIs using a modern web stack consisting of Python, TypeScript, GraphQL, and Apollo
- Collaborate with product managers, front-end engineers, and data science engineers to spec, build, test and deploy high quality code in the cloud
- Leverage applicable design patterns, refactoring code where necessary, to maintain organizational consistency
- Ensure that all APIs are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests
- Review code, have your code reviewed, and learn from other engineers
- Voice your expertise to provide technical constraints and solutions to product managers, with a focus on incremental delivery
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience or training (ie professional bootcamps)
- You’ve been building backend web applications professionally for 2+ years
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management
- You have experience in one or more imperative programming languages
- You possess a good understanding of the web request/response lifecycle and API design -- including versioning, isolation and microservice architectures
- You have experience deploying and monitoring software in a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- You have built production applications using one or more of the following, or similar: Python, Typescript, Node.js, GraphQL, Apollo
- You understand how to design APIs and libraries that are easy for clients to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend systems
- You’re able to research and propose new technologies or software patterns to improve the software ecosystem
- You’re a strong communicator that can convey technical concepts and trade-offs to both engineering and business audiences
- You have prior experience working in a fast-paced, agile environment
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness
- You are a perpetual learner and passionate about technology
Help Indigo improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health at a global scale.
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is economically desirable and an accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice.
The company is headquartered in Memphis, TN, with additional offices in Boston, MA, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.