User Experience Designer, Digital Retail at CarGurus (Cambridge, MA)
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
About the Role
We are looking for a User Experience Designer to build usable, attractive, and high-performing user experiences for CarGurus’ Digital Retail products! Our Digital Retail team is driving ground-breaking innovation in automotive payments and transactions, empowering car shoppers to not only search for vehicles on CarGurus, but seamlessly get financing and buy them online or at the dealership from their mobile phone. The ideal candidate will be comfortable solving customer problems with agile teams that include engineers, product managers, analysts, and copywriters.
An online portfolio or access to samples of past work is required for applicants to this position. Our team values diversity in experience and backgrounds—we do our best work when we create space for different voices and perspectives. Whatever unique experiences or skill sets you bring, we look forward to learning from each other.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with engineering and product leads to research, conceive, design, prototype, and ultimately test new features within the CarGurus consumer- and B2B-facing experiences
- Create user flows, sketches, use cases, personas, and other product design and communication artifacts as needed, based on business requirements and constraints
- Practice an evidence-based design approach, and apply user insights and customer feedback (including A/B testing) to rapidly iterate on your designs
- Understand business strategy and how designs align with strategy
- Apply measurements of the efficiency of designs to your work
- Work with teams and partners across CarGurus
Who You Are:
- 3+ years of UX & product design experience
- Proficient in commonly used design tools such as Figma, Miro etc.
- Proficient in user-centered research and usability testing
- Can clearly and effectively communicate design process, ideas, and solutions to teams and customers
- Familiar with HTML/CSS, and with accessibility considerations
- Able to partner with product managers and engineering to balance technical, business, and customer requirements while applying a user-centric design approach
- Can share your knowledge, while learning from other team members
- Nice to have: experience with iOS/mobile design, e-commerce or digital marketplaces; familiarity with Agile Scrum methodology
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal and professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts and government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders’ discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions and needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large.