Sr. Director, Design - Emerging Experiences at Toast (Remote)
Sr. Director, Design - Emerging Experiences
About The Company
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
About this roll*: (Responsibilities)
This role will lead the emerging experiences team and will report directly to Toast’s Chief Design Officer. You will lead our vision, strategy, and execution on emerging experiences. This will include leading our mobile app strategy and execution, a cross-company effort around service design, and the work to roll out, support, and expand our design metrics.
Emerging Experiences is a newly formed team within Design. It is small and nimble with great service design, user research and product design talent. It is focused on three key areas in design:
- Mobile Strategy: including a newly formed mobile team that’s focused on the future mobile operating system of Toast.
- Service Design: we are building the root of a service design team that’s focused on working closely with our product, sales, marketing, support, and other customer experiences teams to shape service design at Toast.
- Design Metrics: we are rolling metrics for our key experiences across design and the emerging experiences team will be taking a lead, working with design ops, to make that happen. We use HEART as the foundation of that.
Sr. Directors are also business leaders at Toast. You will be a member of the design leadership team responsible for continuing to raise our quality bar, shaping our design process, and helping listen to and influence our partners across the company.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
You are a proven leader, problem solver, and strategic thinker. We don’t use these words lightly. You love bringing clarity to ambiguity and are excellent at rallying and working with cross-functional partners across the company.
You are a great communicator who can listen to customers, cross-functional partners, and your team to articulate a clear strategy and drive cross-company execution.
You understand other perspectives, care about bringing diverse opinions into the conversation but also an opinionated leader who’s biased for action. You believe in the importance of delivering outcomes, and quickly, to customers, the business, and the whole team. In that order.
You have a proven track record of balancing strategy, execution, and ability to roll out programs across the company and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves as you work directly with your team.
About Us in Design
The Toast Design team is a team of makers. We’re product designers, user researchers, design ops leaders, and product managers. We work, together and with our partners, to deliver world-class experiences to restaurants and their guests. We build experiences that help make operating and growing a restaurant and delighting guests easier and scalable. It’s why over 65,000 restaurants love Toast.
We are a remote team. Some of us are based in our offices in Boston and San Francisco but most of us appear in square boxes on Zoom from time to time.
We have a culture rooted deeply in our customers and their needs, in recognizing and uplifting each other, and driving outcomes for our customers and our business. We believe in the importance of building a diverse and psychologically safe team that enjoys working together.
We also continue to build a culture of transparency and feedback where our perspectives make each one of us better at their craft and ability to drive for outcomes.
Here’s how the hiring process works for this role:
- You will apply here. Our executive recruiting team reviews every single application and will get back to you to let you know if we believe your resume and work is a fit for this specific role.
- If both of us decide to move forward, you will have a conversation with our executive recruiter. Their interview will focus on better understanding your experience, describe the role, and answer any questions.
- You will then have a conversation with the hiring manager, Jehad Affoneh, for 45 minutes. Jehad will focus on getting a deeper understanding of your track record of delivering end to end experiences to our customers, driving cross-company work, and your management skills. He will also answer any of your questions.
- If that works out for both of us, we will move forward with a full panel interview. This will start with a portfolio review (we will share a prompt for it). It will also include 1:1 interviews with design leaders, product management leaders, and key partners.
- We will reach out with a decision within a few days.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]