Creative Director, Brand Design
Greater Boston Area
We are a distributed team across Boston and Rotterdam, with many disciplines. From product design, UX, brand, illustration, web and more, the Mendix design team is filled with passionate creatives focused on elevating design across our industry. The team is also passionate outside of design, always exploring new ways to be creative and tinkering in new technologies or techniques. We believe that collaboration is the key to our success and look forward to opportunities to collaborate across teammates and teams, delivering on high-quality craftsmanship.
While we live on different continents and work on different things, we are one team with a shared mission and set of values. We are passionate and strive for new heights, professionally and personally. We value collaboration, initiative and hands-on creativity. Above all else, we believe in a culture of growth, respect, and fun.
Are you dreaming about being the next Massimo Vignelli or Paula Scher? You believe that brands are at their best when they intersect with design, marketing, and technology. You thrive on shaping a connected brand that defines and leads an entire industry, setting new storytelling standards. You shape creative teams to execute on branded designs and stories that are authentic, beautiful, and surprising. You’ll bring your excellent taste for design and copy to elevate thinking across teams and deliver industry first creative solutions.
We are looking for a CD to lead, shape, and deliver branding and marketing initiatives. As the CD, you are the regional lead also charged with evolving the design and creative practice within the brand design team. You’re an expert at wielding ambiguity and understand the complexity of managing stakeholders.
You will bring the Mendix brand vision to life with such clarity that it feels attainable, maybe even inevitable, across a myriad of customer and prospect touch points.
We are looking for someone who is rooted in the skills and traditions of graphic design —who is able to discuss both the nuances of typography as well as the potential of low code platforms or other innovative technologies like blockchain or AR.
- Lead the Brand Design Team in Boston
- Assist in development and management of Brand Design budget
- Lead development of career paths, training, networking, and coaching for the team
- Establish design best practices and internal brand guidelines for a systemic design approach
- Master storyteller who can bring together user needs, concepts, design principles and brand image into something cohesive
- Advance storytelling and visual communication as a discipline and a practice
- Maintain On brand consistency across Mendix, ensure our work communicates clearly, is on brand, and delights people
- Explain, discuss, and justify design decisions eloquently and with objectivity. Expert at delivering and providing creative direction to other team members
- Collaborate in cross-disciplinary teams (engineering, product design, sales & community) to conceive, validate and produce new marketing strategies and content
- Partner with colleagues in other disciplines to ensure that project expectations, deadlines, and process are mutually understood and met, and that the solution meets creative and strategic objectives
- 10+ years of experience crafting powerful stories
- 5+ years of people management and proven design leadership excellence in mentoring, coaching, hiring, motivating and growing team
- Demonstrated track record of leading design teams that have shipped quality campaigns
- Exceptional interdisciplinary organizational and communication skills
- A trained eye for detail and craft
- Superb ability to see the big picture and motivate teams around an idea
- Exceptional typographic skills
- A portfolio that demonstrates your ability to tell stories visually across multiple media
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in design or a related field
- Background in screen-based interface design or software development a plus
- Understanding of product design, UX, and testing capabilities a plus
Read Full Job Description