Staff Engineer - MySQL
Job ID R1900328
CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Service Management, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. We are searching for dedicated and versatile engineers, who are passionate about working in a company whose culture is fanatical about innovation and fixated on delivering software products that solve our customers’ most challenging business needs. As a Staff Engineer - MySQL, you’ll have the opportunity to make a significant and direct impact on our products, platform, and tackle some of the most complex challenges in cloud computing.
Why we are excited about you:
You bring knowledge to the table which will help us maintain and improve the data layer at CloudHealth. You look to build out new systems to fit new needs and are not skittish when it comes to improving or re-imagining an already-deployed system. You look to learn about technologies outside of your realm of expertise from your teammates and are passionate about teaching them likewise.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team, Product Management, Architects, and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software, processes, and workflows supporting a highly available, fault-tolerant SaaS platform.
- Maintain and actively harden infrastructure shared among multiple development teams.
- Ensure the performance, security, and availability of databases.
- Prepare documentation and specifications.
- Handle common database procedures, such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, etc.
- Profile server resource usage, optimize and tweak as necessary.
- Build out continuously deliverable application deployment workflows to the data layer.
- Assist development teams in effectively utilizing the data store.
- Participate in service-level monitoring, metrics gathering, and an on-call rotation using Datadog, Percona, Sensu, and PagerDuty.
- Work across the company to identify and implement new ideas and mature existing processes.
- Actively solve problems using modern open source technologies and techniques.
- Strong proficiency in MySQL database management.
- Decent experience with recent versions of MySQL.
- Understanding of MySQL’s underlying storage engines.
- Experience with replication configuration in MySQL.
- Knowledge of de-facto standards and best practices in MySQL.
- Proficient in writing and optimizing SQL statements.
- Knowledge of MySQL features, such as its event scheduler.
- Ability to plan resource requirements from high-level specifications.
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Knowledge of limitations in MySQL and their workarounds in contrast to other popular relational databases.
- Five or more years of experience running Linux-based systems in a production environment.
- Good understanding of Ruby and ActiveRecord.
- Demonstrable experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins preferred).
- The ability to debug complicated issues with others in a group setting.
- Comfort learning new tools and technologies to serve new purposes.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
We're already intrigued, but would love experience with:
- Big Data technologies such as Hadoop or HBase
- Flyway or Liquibase