Soil Carbon Scientist at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a scientist on our GeoInnovation Soil Carbon Science team, you will apply your extensive experience in soil organic matter dynamics and soil biogeochemistry to assist Indigo’s efforts focused on increasing soil health and reducing soil greenhouse gas emissions via regenerative management practices. Indigo is heavily invested in regenerative agriculture, and recently announced its Terraton initiative designed to aggressively sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide in agricultural soils. To meet the ambitious goals set out for Terraton, Indigo is building a team to support the scientific design and implementation of soil organic matter models that will help Indigo quantify changes in soil greenhouse gas emissions from different land management practices. As member of the soil carbon science team, you will be instrumental in driving the underlying science and supporting this modeling effort.
- Provide thought leadership for soil organic matter modeling activities within Indigo
- Help set long-term strategy for advancing Indigo’s ability to estimate soil greenhouse gas emissions at regional to national scales
- Develop strategies to minimize uncertainties and maximize effect sizes in soil emissions estimation by linking field measurements to soil biogeochemical models
- Collaborate with engineers and data scientists on scale issues and building code that can be deployed into production systems ready for third party verification
- Collaborate with Indigo Terraton and Carbon teams to support Indigo’s approach for monitoring, reporting and verification of carbon credits
- Contribute thoughtful business recommendations using effective communication of findings (through synthesis and visualization of quantitative information)
- Help build Indigo's scientific knowledge and capacity to issue carbon credits
- Strong communication skills; able to translate results from complex analyses into interpretable results, both visually and verbally
- Enjoys collaborating with and leading others
- Proactive and self-directed
- Strong modeling skills, able to write well-documented, clean, maintainable code in a collaborative environment
- Thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment
- PhD in soil science, agriculture science, or a related discipline providing experience in biogeochemical modeling
- Deep knowledge of soil organic matter dynamics and biogeochemistry
- Proven knowledge of agricultural ecosystems and land management impacts on soil carbon and trace gas flux
- Experience in one or more soil biogeochemical models (DNDC, DayCent, etc.)
- Prior experience with geospatial analysis, spatial statistics, modeling, and software tools
- Demonstrated record of scientific impact and productivity
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.