Soil Carbon Scientist
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a scientist on our GeoInnovation Soil Carbon Science team, you will apply your extensive experience in soil ecology, biogeochemistry and carbon cycle science to assist Indigo’s efforts focused on increasing soil health and soil organic matter via regenerative management practices. Indigo in heavily invested in regenerative agriculture, and recently announced its Terraton initiative designed to aggressively sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide in agricultural soils. To meet the ambitious goals set out for Terraton, Indigo is building a team to support the scientific design and implementation of soil carbon models that will help Indigo quantify changes in soil carbon from different land management practices. As member of the soil carbon science team, you will be instrumental in driving the underlying science and supporting this modeling effort.
- Provide thought leadership for soil carbon modeling activities within Indigo
- Help set long-term strategy for advancing Indigo’s ability to estimate soil carbon sequestration at farm-to-regional scales
- Develop strategies to link field measurements to soil biogeochemical models
- Collaborate with engineers on scale issues and building code that can be deployed into production systems
- Collaborate with Indigo Terraton and Carbon teams to support Indigo’s approach for monitoring, reporting and verification of carbon credits
- Contribute thoughtful business recommendations using effective communication of findings (through synthesis and visualization of quantitative information)
- Strong communication skills; able to translate results from complex analyses into interpretable results, both visually and verbally
- Enjoys collaborating with and leading others
- Proactive and self-directed
- Strong modeling skills, able to write well-documented, clean, maintainable code in a collaborative environment
- Thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment
- PhD in soil science, agriculture science, or a related discipline providing experience in biogeochemical modeling
- Deep knowledge of soil ecology and biogeochemistry
- Proven knowledge of agricultural ecosystems and land management impacts on soil carbon
- Experience in one or more soil biogeochemical models (DNDC, DayCent, COMET, etc.)
- Prior experience with geospatial analysis, modeling, and software tools
- Demonstrated record of scientific impact and productivity
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.