Senior Software Engineer - Warehouse
TripAdvisor’s mission is to help people around the world plan and have the perfect trip. The Experiences and Rentals team is a fast growing group within the company, enabling travelers to book vacation rentals, tours and activities online. We are the market leader in this space, but we have big plans and need your help in taking this business to the next level.
TripAdvisor Experiences and Rentals is growing its world class Data Warehouse team and is looking for talented engineers to contribute on architecture and development. TripAdvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation and excitement of a startup, at a thriving, growing and well-established industry brand.
We take pride in our Data Warehouse are looking for a talented and highly-motivated engineer with a passion for solving interesting problems to add to our high-performing team.
- Develop platforms and tools for operating and supporting a high-scale data warehouse
- Design and implement ETL flows for the data warehouse using both batch and/or stream oriented architectures
- Create tools to enable easy data access for non-technical customers and client reporting
- Work with internal and external clients to understand business requirements
- Design and implement parts of the data warehouse data model
- Act as a thought leader and work to drive institutional change in software development practices on the team and at TripAdvisor
- Solid experience in development of complex ETL processes; these should include defining SLA and performance measurements and monitoring
- Experience working with large datasets (terabyte scale and growing) and familiarity with various technologies and tooling associated with databases and big data
- Relational DB (MS SQL, PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Big Data DB (i.e. Hadoop, Hive, BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Strong experience in OO or functional programming in Java/Python or equivalent language
- Strong Software Engineering Principles
- Systems performance and tuning experience, with an eye for how systems architecture and design impacts performance and scalability
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- SSE: 6+ years of general software development
Good to Have
- Exposure to and/or interest in machine learning and data science specifically to help solve day-to-day problems and reach objectives in an innovative way
- Experience working with Apache Airflow
- Comfortable working in a Linux CLI environment
- Experience in designing high-scale, fault-tolerant and performant distributed applications
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and an enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
- Organized, self-motivator, great communicator and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Proven record of mentoring junior members of the team
- Proven record of innovation via non-trivial solutions to day-to-day problems
- Proven record of technical leadership on medium to large size projects