Senior Data Scientist, Engagement
We’re looking for an exceptional senior-level data scientist to develop data products and drive better decision making across the edX organization and for our partners. As our Senior Data Scientist on the cross-functional Engagement team, your work will support the Engagement team’s mission to help learners find and succeed in courses at edX.
This is a ground floor opportunity to drive tremendous business value as we build a world-class data team. Improving the use of data is one of edX’s top strategic priorities.
- Identify, implement, and drive adoption of analytics-based solutions to business problems.
- Provide data, analysis, and recommendations to support decisions across all departments and for end customers. Influence decisions at all levels of the organization, including presenting findings to senior leadership.
- Perform quantitative research on large data sets.
- Mentor other data scientists, analysts, and engineers, and provide scientific support across all departments.
- Guide and potentially participate in the software implementation of data products.
- Innovate new ways data science can be used to support the organization and its mission.
- At least 5 years of data science and/or research experience, ideally with at least 3 years in industry and/or a Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline.
- Extensive hands-on experience working with large, real-world data.
- Experience developing thoughtful data visualization that conveys a precise and compelling message.
- Demonstrably strong business orientation, with a propensity toward action, and the mentality to get initial results quickly and iterate.
- Strong programming and algorithm development skills as applied to working with large data sets (e.g. in Python, R, SQL, Spark).
- Connoisseurship of good science: attention to experimental design, causality, bias, significance, etc.
- Innately scrappy with big picture thinking, and an interest in solving fuzzy business problems.
- Careful approach with close attention to detail and motivation to minimize error.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude.
- Bonus: Experience with learning science or clickstream data.
How you will grow
- Be part of a highly talented, collaborative, and practical data team that is always teaching and learning from each other.
- Collaborate cross-functionally and with senior leadership on some of edX's highest visibility initiatives.
- Focus your energy on business impact, honing your ability to use data to create quantifiable value for an organization.
- Play a key role in transforming a company early in its analytical journey into a highly sophisticated data-driven organization.
- Solve challenging technical problems involving large volumes of data using cutting-edge tools.
- Dedicate your time at work to furthering an important social cause, and have a big impact on edX's sustainability.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.