Research Associate, Microbial Sourcing and Evaluation for Terraton Initiative at Indigo
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health with natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
The primary objective of the research associate, Microbial Sourcing and Evaluation will be to aid in the characterization of microbial communities associated with soil and crop plants using next generation sequencing associated with the Terraton Experiment. The Terraton Experiment is an ambitious research effort to map the world’s soil carbon potential in agricultural soils. The characterized microbial communities will continue to expand our understanding of the effects of regenerative agricultural practices.
- Able to receive materials coming from the field, organize and archive them.
- Perform DNA extraction from a variety of field samples (e.g. soil, plant tissue)
- Track DNA extractions and efficiently store DNA in freezer
- Amplicon Sequencing:
- Performs PCR and gel electrophoresis
- Performs all the library prep steps for Next Generation Sequencing
- Runs and performs maintenance of the sequencer
- Data collection, recording, and analysis
- Comfortable running all the above described tasks manually, as well as on a liquid handler
- Works at a fast pace and is able to multitask as needed
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- Strong laboratory skills including single and multi-channel pipetting, DNA extraction, PCR and gel electrophoresis.
- Expertise in NGS required
- Use and programming of automation preferred
- Organized, methodical, and attention to detail
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with aggressive timelines and deliverables, sometimes under constrained conditions
- Demonstrate a team-oriented style and strong work ethic
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Believes in Indigo’s mission and works to be a part of it
- BS in biology, microbiology or other life sciences
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.