Junior Data Scientist
About the Team
STR’s Analytics division researches and develops advanced analytics and machine learning-based solutions to solve challenging problems related to national security. Our team consists of passionate and motivated engineers with advanced degrees in engineering, computer science, mathematics, and data science, who are seeking opportunities to use their deep technical knowledge and creativity to tackle some of the hardest problems that our customers face. Our projects span multiple different data modalities and incorporate advanced algorithms, deep learning, and statistical techniques to uncover patterns in social media, structured and unstructured text, time series, geospatial, and imagery data, and must operate under challenging constraints not typically found in the commercial world. The tools and technologies we develop have real world impact and US Government analysts use them to extract and enrich intelligence information around the globe.
As a Junior Data Scientist, you will analyze interesting and challenging datasets to develop, implement, and evaluate statistical machine learning algorithms to discover trends and form valuable intelligence insights. You will apply state of the art and novel statistical modeling and machine learning techniques to a variety of problems including anomaly detection, forecasting, unsupervised learning, and much more—all to help address national security and safety needs. You will work closely with other researchers to develop cutting edge systems and work collaboratively with our software engineers to design and deploy models into production.
This position can be based in Woburn, MA; or Arlington, VA. Applicants should expect to primarily work onsite.
What you will do:
- Investigate and analyze large and interesting data sets to identify and expose hidden patterns and trends
- Develop and apply novel statistical and machine learning models to automatically derive valuable insights for defense and intelligence analysts.
- Collaborate with diverse teams to develop and deploy cutting-edge capabilities into production systems
Who you are:
- Hold a B.S. or M.S. in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or other related discipline
- Experience in applying statistical methods to real-world data science problems, especially in settings where data is sparse, noisy, and/or high dimensional
- Experience in time series modeling, Bayesian statistics, unsupervised learning, and/or model selection and evaluation
- Familiarity with statistical modeling and traditional machine learning techniques, such as generalized linear models, mixed-effect models, hierarchical modeling, and decision theory
- Proficient with Python and the traditional data science and machine learning stack, namelyNumPy, Pandas, scikit-learn and matplotlib
- Proficient with version control software (Git), JIRA, Confluence, or other common collaboration tools
- Capable of obtaining and maintaining a security clearance.
- Passionate about software design and coding aesthetics
- Experience working with large datasets (> 100 GB) and familiarity with big data infrastructure and frameworks such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Dask, or MapReduce
- Possession of an advanced degree in a scientific field and 2+ years of relevant experience after Bachelor’s degree (work or post-graduate)
- Expertise in information theory or generative modeling
- Experience with deep learning models and familiarity with PyTorch or TensorFlow
- Active security clearance.
- Expertise in supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques including geospatial analytics, changepoint detection, and graph analytics
- Experience in intelligence and military-related mission areas
STR is a growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA, near Dayton, OH, Palm Bay, FL, and Carlsbad, CA. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe! Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at [email protected] and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.