Engineering Manager - Data
In 2007, two software engineers and serial entrepreneurs founded a technology company, ezCater. ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in just the U.S. We make it superbly easy for businesspeople to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and valued at over $1 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
Here at ezCater, data guides our decisions every day, at all levels and in all functions. Yet, we still want to get more people more data to gain more insight! Come take the lead on getting data in and out of our Snowflake data warehouse.
You’re the kind of person who wants to find all the data and deliver it to the entire company. You understand how to build reliable systems which do that at the right velocity. You’re committed to stakeholders. You make sure their data is always available, accessible, and of appropriate quality.
You’re excited to lead a highly talented team of Data Engineers and Data Warehouse Engineers. You’re invested in them becoming better leaders and technologists under your tutelage.
ezCater values technology as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
What you’ll do:
- Make it easy for everyone to get the data they need when they need it so they can decide and act more quickly
- Design and develop new systems and tools that enable frictionless and prolific data consumption throughout the company
- Architect and deliver improvements to our ever-growing data platform
- Deliver a quality product to stakeholders: data analysts, executives, and just about everybody!
- Develop a deep understanding of our data and our business
- Coach managers and individual contributors and grow them as leaders and technologists
- Nurture our collaborative and autonomous development culture
- Be both a trusted advisor to the CTO and a good colleague to your peers
- Vision and well-informed opinions about how to build data infrastructure
- Built commercial-scale data pipelines and warehouses, ideally using cloud services like Snowflake and Stitch (or other ETL product), ideally with e-commerce or SaaS experience
- Expertise in writing performant SQL
- An insatiable thirst for empowering businesses through rich data
- An agile, automated, DataOps approach to data engineering
- Exposure to commercial web applications, embedded analytics, and A/B testing
- Managed five or more people
- The ability to learn quickly and make data-informed decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication
What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get a tremendous amount of authority and autonomy. You’ll own your outcomes and see measurable results for your efforts. With ezCater’s unmatched transparency and trust, you’ll have open access to the data that drives our decisions. ezUniversity sessions will provide plenty of opportunities to expand your mind.
At the same time, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized T-passes, a great office in the heart of Boston, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.