Director, Travel Research
Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodation to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 25 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
In this role, you’ll utilize Hopper’s vast database of airfare and accommodation data to create data-driven analyses on market-level trends and industry forecasts. The Director of Travel Research will work to solidify Hopper as the leading source of travel data and insights by developing creative and informative research studies which will be utilized by the top media organizations. You’ll oversee the Hopper Research blog from data analysis to content production.
You’ll work closely with Hopper’s data science and communications teams. Our communications team will leverage your research to generate interest with top-tier news outlets and position the company as a thought leader in the industry. To succeed in this role, you’ll need strong written communications skills and the ability to present your findings to non-technical audiences.
Additionally, you’ll develop the framework and processes surrounding Hopper’s Research team as it scales globally. We are looking for a strong leader who can work with a dynamic team which offers a diverse range of skills and abilities.
In this role you will:
- Contextualize Hopper’s database of trillions of data points to provide insight into airfare and accommodation trends
- Lead the production of research content with Hopper's data science and communications teams
- Write engaging content that is grounded in serious data but is also easy to consume
- Prioritize the data requests needed for production of content to align with bandwidth of data science team
- Develop the framework for the research team including sourcing writers, data journalists and data-visualization journalists as the company begins to expand globally
A perfect candidate has:
- Analytics skills (e. g. comfort with SQL) or a background in data-driven journalism
- The ability to distill complex subjects and data into compelling and understandable writeups
- A mix of creative and analytical thinking
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; able to build successful relationships with cross-functional internal teams
- The ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive and to handle uncertainty, ambiguity and the challenge of quickly evolving goals
- Excellent project management, organizational skills and an attention to detail; ability to manage multiple projects against multiple (tight) timelines at once
- A strong interest in aviation and/or hospitality industry is a plus
- Experience using data visualization software such as D3 is a plus
Sound like a fit? We can't wait to hear from you.
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!