At PathAI, we aim to improve patient outcomes through AI-powered pathology. We were the first company to apply deep learning to pathology, but we don’t want to rest on our laurels. We are constantly improving the models, methods, and processes we use at every point in our ML platform: From e.g. detecting millions of individual cancer and immune cells in gigapixel histology images, to making diagnoses and predictions about survival and drug response from these extremely high-dimensional patient representations. This requires staying at or ahead of the state of the art in conventional computer vision and machine learning, as well as informing our tech development with domain expertise and biomedical priors.
We have a vast treasure trove of data, relationships with amazing partners in biotech, pharma and academia, and an incredibly talented machine learning team. As the research director, you will lead the team to put all these resources towards a long-term research strategy that will allow PathAI to make the greatest impact on patient outcomes!The Role:
- An interdisciplinary scientific leader to design PathAI’s application-driven and pathology-domain-oriented long-term research strategy, aimed at keeping PathAI at the cutting-edge of improving patient outcomes via next-generation pathology.
- Plan, oversee and provide technical guidance for the execution of ML/DL/CV methods research projects undertaken by ML engineers and ML scientists.
- Provide technical guidance to ML engineers and biomedical researchers working on PathAI partner-driven clinical and translational research projects.
- Attain and maintain a thorough, end-to-end understanding of PathAI business goals, ML team high-level scientific goals and the tools and processes we use to meet these. Use this understanding to identify and propose new research directions.
- Mentor and coach junior team members as they develop their skills working through their own ML and clinical research projects.
- Scientific and technical leadership experience - a track record of guiding scientists/engineers through research projects.
- Strong, documented record in developing and applying novel ML/DL/CV methods to biomedical research problems and/or clinical applications.
- Sufficient biomedical domain expertise to guide company research strategy, as well as to relate high-level medical and scientific goals to specific ML problems and approaches.
- Thorough understanding and strongly conversant in the theory underlying both classical ML and DL.
- Shown team leadership and management experience, recruit, engage and develop staff with advanced degrees.
- An interdisciplinary communicator - ability to describe technical ML concepts to biomedical researchers and clinicians, and to convey scientific and medical goals to ML researchers.
- Applied stats / biostatistics experience.
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices and deploying ML models at scale in production systems.
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
- Convertible sit-stand desks
- Weekly in-office yoga classes
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.
With the rise of employment phishing scams, especially during the current COVID-19 situation, we ask candidates to be extra vigilant. Be careful about providing any kind of personal information, such as location, age, or financial information to recruiters who may be impersonating PathAI employees. PathAI does not require payment for interviews or for applicants to purchase their own work supplies for reimbursement.