At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying and taking process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Hopper has launched several bespoke fintech products that leverage our immense first and third-party data to create products and value that do not exist elsewhere - including Refundable and Flexible Tickets and Price Freeze. Thanks to these offerings, Hopper’s revenue growth is up 112% despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
With over $250M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration to becoming the world’s fastest-growing end-to-end customer-centric travel offering.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 50 million times and sees over 1 million new installs per month. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019.
Come take off with us!
We’re looking for a motivated data scientist and data wrangler to help us capitalize on a variety of key data-centric product opportunities within the lodging business. At Hopper, every dataset tells a story. Do you have what it takes to decipher the clues? bit.ly/2q6U8dq
You might be a great fit for our team if you’re a self-starter who thrives on uncertainty, and who’s passionate about exploring the intersection of real business problems with huge (and often messy) data sets, and finding effective ways to simplify and focus on practical opportunities to deliver value to our customers. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, drive, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.
We collect and archive pricing data for hotels and homes pricing from a dozen providers; rich metadata at property, room and user level; as well as sourcing geographic data about property and related context like airports, points of interest, neighborhoods and political boundaries.
Specific challenges include measuring and predicting specific hotel sales performance to drive dynamic pricing; improving our automated sort order; driving re-engagement via collaborative filtering; personalized recommendations based on observed customer behavior; and better leveraging geographic data in search, filtering and recommendation.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Frame and conduct complex exploratory analyses needed to deepen our understanding of Hopper users
- Partner with product, engineering and business teams to contribute to product improvements and initiatives
- Use machine learning and big data tools on large and complex data sets to enhance our data-driven, personalized travel advice
- Create advanced dashboards for product experiment tracking and business unit performance analysis using Amplitude, Tableau and BigQuery/Google sheets.
- Find effective ways to simplify and communicate analyses to a non-technical audience.
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
- A strong passion for and extensive experience in conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
- Experience in Pandas, R, SAS or other tools appropriate for large scale data preparation and analysis
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- Experience with relational databases and SQL, including geographical data
- Experience with business reporting tools such as Tableau, Amplitude
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)