Data Engineering Manager at ezCater
In 2007, two software engineers and serial entrepreneurs founded ezCater. ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in the U.S. We make it superbly easy for businesspeople to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and valued at over $1 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
We’re looking for smart, friendly, and collaborative technologists to help us reach our technology goals.
ezCater values technology as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
ezCater is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join our Data Technology team in Boston, MA. This is a new position, and the manager will lead the engineering team responsible for building data products that support reporting, analytics, and machine learning. We are a data-driven company in every way, and data is a critical piece of our culture. The Data Technology team owns data pipelines, the data lake and data marts, and data architecture at ezCater. Our ideal candidate will have proven, hands-on experience managing a team of data engineers, building out a team with mature processes and operations, and working with product managers to create a well-defined vision and roadmap.
- Hands-on software development experience in a professional setting focused on data engineering and building robust data pipelines to support batch and near-real-time data consumers
- Solid experience in Python, SQL, ETL and orchestration tools like dbt and Airflow, and especially modern cloud data warehouse platforms such as Snowflake or Redshift
- Experience in navigating and utilizing services in a cloud platform, preferably AWS
- 5+ years solid experience with SQL, data modeling, and data architecture for large-scale projects in an enterprise environment
- Comfortable managing a roadmap and reporting to stakeholders in a fast-paced and dynamic environment using Agile principles and modern practices like CI/CD
- 2-5 years of solid people management experience, including hiring and helping others grow their careers
- A disposition that is friendly, flexible and pragmatic, and the desire to learn something new every day and continue to grow as a leader
What you’ll do:
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the data engineering team, including refining and prioritizing the backlog, and streamlining workflows and processes
- Work with the team to create data pipelines, transformations, tables, buckets, schedules, DAGs, and all the other components of a mature, modern data ecosystem
- Work with stakeholders and product management to define and prioritize the data engineering roadmap
- Drive projects and report on them to stakeholders across ezCater, relating them to our corporate objectives
- Improve performance, efficiency, and quality wherever you can
- Treat data quality and data architecture as first class deliverables
- Move a lot of data and inspire your team to do the same
What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get a tremendous amount of authority and autonomy. You’ll own your outcomes and see measurable results for your efforts. With ezCater’s unmatched transparency and trust, you’ll have open access to the data that drives our decisions. ezUniversity sessions will provide plenty of opportunities to expand your mind.
At the same time, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized T-passes, a beautiful new office in the heart of Boston, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.