A bit about us:
We’re on a mission to change healthcare — how it’s paid for, delivered, experienced. We want to put people center stage, not process or profit. We are guided by a deep belief that every person on Medicare should be treated like we would treat a member of our own family: with loving care and a profound commitment to their health and well-being.
That’s why we’re gathering a whole bunch of smart, big-hearted people to create a new kind of healthcare company — one that combines compassion, health insurance, clinical care, and technology seamlessly.
We want to throw the long ball with people we love for a cause we believe in. Life is short. Join us.
A bit more about this role:
In our mission to take care of every member like they were our own mom or dad, we believe that data is a super power to deliver great service and clinical care. You will be the data engineer who crafts our data and makes it readily available for our complex downstream data systems to consume. As a member of the data engineering team, you will work closely with many teams within the company to determine how best to prepare our data in a scalable, flexible way for complex analysis to take place.
Whether you have a health care background or not, we are excited to learn from and share knowledge with you. Our leadership team includes seasoned alumni of healthcare and technology organizations spanning the public and private sector. Our co-founders deeply understand and care about good technology: Todd Park co-founded Athenahealth, a multi-billion-dollar health care technology company, and served as CTO of the U.S.; Ed Park was athenahealth's founding engineer and served as its CTO, COO, and President of Services.
We want a data engineer who has a passion for data and problem solving. We are looking for folks who want to work in a complex system and who are passionate about building great technology to solve problems for users—our members, our colleagues, and ourselves.
Responsibilities will include
- Designing, implementing, maintaining, and QA’ing ETL jobs
- Maintaining and scaling our ETL tooling process to ensure flexibility for future enhancements
- Ensuring data integrity and accuracy within our various data pipelines
- Tuning and implementing improvements—in terms of quality, reliability, scalability, or data access—for our production data stores
- Spearheading the implementation of data governance procedures within the company
- Working with Product, Marketing, and Data Science teams to build out necessary data warehousing infrastructure
- Bringing an analytical mindset to every conversation across the company
Attributes to success
- Experience coupled with a willingness to learn new things
- Comfort with uncertainty and a desire to be close to business problems
- Desire to contribute individually, with the ability both to self-direct work and to collaborate with others on the technology team
- Understanding of many technologies down to first principles, and a desire to add more to the list
Desired skills and experience
- 7+ years working as an individual technical contributor
- 5+ years experience with databases and data engineering
- Bonus: Prior backgrounds with AWS services (e.g. lambda, S3, Redshift); Experience with other Cloud Data Warehouses (Big Query, Snowflake); Experience with Python; Experience with Terraform; Exposure to CI/CD for software systems
If you love running towards complex challenges and transforming them into solutions, if you want to make a potentially huge impact on many lives, and if you are looking for a disruptive startup with an inspiring and talented team, Devoted Health may be the place for you!