Technical Writer at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast R&D teams build products that allow restaurant staff to do what they love: provide great food and service to their guests. Every day, thousands of servers, hosts, bartenders, and chefs use our products to serve millions of guests!
Bready* to make a change?
Toast is looking for a technical writer to join our engineering documentation team and play a critical role in designing and developing technical documentation for complex, cloud-based software. At Toast, the engineering documentation team develops high-quality product information for external and internal users of the Toast platform. In this role, you will be responsible for working with product managers, development leads, UX designers, and quality assurance engineers to understand the features our development team is building, and for working with support teams and external integration developers to understand what information they will need in order to be successful. You will research and test new functionality, design and develop new documentation, update existing documentation, conduct documentation reviews, and evaluate the effectiveness of our documentation set.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Writing comprehensive technical documentation for restaurant POS system features.
- Writing developer’s guide content for new REST APIs using the Swagger/OpenAPI framework.
- Establishing documentation practices in a fast-growing, dynamic start-up environment.
- Work with product managers, UX designers, and software developers to plan technical documentation content for new product features.
- Develop documentation information architecture and integrate input from stakeholders.
- Research and test new and existing Toast platform functionality.
- Develop high-quality documentation content to ensure internal team and end-user success.
- Engage subject matter experts and organize content review and revision.
- Become an expert Toast product user and user advocate.
- Track and communicate product changes as part of a cross-functional product/engineering team.
- Collaborate in evaluating documentation effectiveness and developing improvement plans.
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success.
- Sees documentation as a form of user and developer advocacy.
- Enjoys designing and developing information solutions to solve complex business problems.
- Loves the challenge of writing minimalist technical documentation.
- Builds consensus around team writing style and contributes to style guide development.
- Works cross-functionally to build effective technology development organizations.
- Enjoys building documentation process and infrastructure at a growing company.
*Bread puns encouraged, not required