edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. It’s a big job - think internationalization, accessibility, and usability - and we’re looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences at scale.
We’re backed by Harvard and MIT and located in the heart of Kendall Square.
We like doing cool stuff and we GSD.
The culture at edX is casual and collaborative. The User Interface (UI) Designer is a member of the UX team. Its members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. Our agile workflow, collaborative, and embedded structure allows us to have a lot of influence and shape decisions about what to create for learners and educators.
- Have at least 2-6 years professional experience in the agency/software/design/digital world
- Recent experience in UI Design roles ~ 2-4 years
- Well-developed business acumen - you ask good questions, engage in critical thinking, and understand how to balance business needs and user needs in a practical and effective way
- Happy to talk through your thinking, your processes, and to show us your work
- Deliver UI for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Influencer beyond the role to evangelize the value of design in teams and the organization
- Adept at executing all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to our friends in Engineering
- Experience using tools such as Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, and the like
As an edX UI Designer, you:
- Partner with UX to identify and solve edX learners’ and educators’ problems
- Articulate your design choices and ground them in fundamental design principles, best practices, usability heuristics
- Define and work within visual themes based on your excellent understanding of grids, typography, color, and design principles
- Care about creating accessible experiences - our products are WCAG 2.0 AA compliant!
- Understand established interactive technologies and possess an undying thirst to learn about new ones
- Document your thinking using thoughtfully chosen and informed deliverables and artifacts like: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps/flows, personas, and design comps
- Are embedded with a cross-functional team and collaborate with peers in product and engineering
- Use a variety of tools and techniques as appropriate for your team’s needs
- Get lots of exposure to product development and UX thinking and to grow your skillset
Sorry, visa sponsorship is not available.