Senior Technical Writer 
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s Android tablet-based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. For example, our portable tablets allow waitstaff to send orders directly to the kitchen, reducing guest wait time and allowing the restaurant to turn over tables faster. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We’re growing fast and serve cafes, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move quickly and have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
Toast is looking for a senior technical writer to join a small, growing writing team and play a critical role in designing and developing comprehensive, technical documentation for complex cloud-based software. At Toast, the engineering documentation team develops high-quality product information for external and internal users of the Toast POS system. In this role, you will be responsible for working with product managers, development leads, and quality assurance engineers to understand the features our development team is building and for working with support teams and end-users to understand what information they will need in order to be successful. You will research and test new functionality, design and develop new documentation, update existing documentation, conduct documentation reviews, and evaluate the effectiveness of our documentation set.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Building a REST API developer’s guide using the Swagger/Open API framework.
- Developing an information architecture for technical administrators of the Toast software service.
- Writing comprehensive technical content for restaurant administration features.
- Designing output media for Toast administration documentation.
- Establishing documentation practices in a dynamic start-up environment.
As a senior technical writer, you will:
- Research and test new and existing Toast functionality.
- Become an expert Toast user and user advocate.
- Develop documentation information architecture and integrate input from stakeholders.
- Develop high-quality documentation content to ensure internal support team and end-user success.
- Engage subject matter experts and organize content review and revision.
- Collaborate in evaluating documentation effectiveness and developing improvement plans.
If you’re someone that:
- Wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success.
- Sees documentation as a form of user advocacy.
- Enjoys designing and developing information solutions to solve complex business problems.
- Loves the challenge of writing minimalist technical documentation.
- Builds consensus around team writing style and and contributes to style guide development.
- Works cross-functionally to build effective software development organizations.
We’d love to talk!