Software Engineering Co-op (Spring 2018)
About BookBubBookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to discover great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. We're constantly growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry.
Our Co-op ProgramWe hire one or two top computer science students each semester and have them join a small team where they deliver real products to our users. Each co-op is expected to take on big challenges and deliver complete, end-to-end solutions.
We lean heavily on automation and continuous deployment to ensure we're constantly getting rapid feedback from our users. Our approach is to start small, ship often and defer unnecessary complexity.
During Your Co-op, You Will:- Ship code to production almost every day via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Pick up several new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
- Build, launch and test several significant new book discovery features
- Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
- Tackle at least a couple of tough scaling challenges
- Learn our stack (if you don't know it already): Rails, React.js, Clojure, Postgres, Redis, AWS, Redshift, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Docker, etc
- Receive one-on-one mentorship and training from experienced engineers who are dedicated to helping you grow quickly
- Complete your co-op with the skills and experience to be a professional software engineer at a top-tier tech company
We're Looking For:
Bright, inquisitive engineers pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field
Engineers who love to learn and teach; to be both mentors and mentees
Engineers who want to go fast, but at a sustainable pace - we're building a business with long-term value
Preference given to students who have prior co-op or internship experience
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.