| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 6:02 a.m. (EST) on Friday, March 5, 2021
ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. We’re backed by Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, Wellington, Lightspeed, and GIC, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
What’s a VP of Product, at ezCater?
Every single person at ezCater is responsible for – and to – our customers, on both the demand and the supply sides of our two-sided marketplace. Our VP of Product
1. coalesces all the input we get (and invents ways to get more),
2. creates a coherent vision of what our products should be (and understands where they might fall short today),
3. catalyzes our cross-functional resources to implement that vision (even though most of those resources don’t report to you), and,
4. ships great product – well, reliably, and frugally. Real artists ship.If this is you, please read on.
What you’ll do:
As our VP of Product, you’ll report to the CTO and have a team of product managers reporting to you. You’ll:
- Satisfy your primary internal customers – currently, the general manager of our demand business and the general manager of our supply business – by giving them products that their customers adore. You’ll lead cross-functional teams of researchers, designers, and engineers, and work closely with Marketing, Sales, and Service. And, you’ll operate within financial guidelines that you’ll help set, working with the Finance team.
- Collaborate with our resident inventors - the founders - who are passionate about the customer experience for both demand and supply, have no shortage of ideas for where to go next, and yet respect the heck out of other perspectives and your role as Chief Rubber-Meets-The-Road Implementer.
- Speak for our products as their owner and protector. We have loud voices speaking for our customers on the demand side, for our customers on the supply side, and for the company. We need the product voice in that choir. That would be you and your PM team.
- Model the optimal blend of hard-nosed data-driven choices and intuitive yet principled leaps of faith. Show us what it’s like when Product Management deeply “gets” the customers, and at the same time delivers high ROI rather than perfection.
- Be a visible leader in our culture of experimentation, aiming higher, and insane helpfulness – and decency, empowerment, and radical transparency. Your role is primarily one of influence rather than direct reporting, so your power skills are especially important.
What we hope you have:
- 5+ years heading product management at companies offering software-based solutions, on top of 10+ years of product management or product leadership roles with increasing scope. Meaningful stints in product research or design, software engineering, and/or sales or marketing are a plus.
- Deep experience with high-growth marketplace or e-commerce companies. The two sides of our marketplace are tightly intertwined; our products for each side should leverage and even strengthen that.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional organizations of 50+ people to successfully deliver software products that are commercial successes with high ROI. If all the functions (research, design, UX, and engineering) love you equally, that is a huge plus. If Marketing, Brand, and Sales love you too, the sky’s the limit.
- A cadre of product management “graduates” - past employees - for whom your mentorship meaningfully increased their skills, effectiveness, and happiness.
- A proclivity for simplicity and insane helpfulness. Please be able to point to software product(s) you helped create that are notably usable and clear, and embody the principle, “if you give people their time back, they will love you forever.”
- A head for experimentation, measurement, and data-driven decision-making. If you used a spreadsheet to track whether rice or burgers made you more sluggish after lunch, it wouldn’t be too much. Proof of where you’ve used data to say “no” to the right things is a huge plus.
- Proven understanding of, and empathy for, businesspeople and restaurant operators. Show us your off-the-charts customer satisfaction scores, and we’ll show you ours!
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, a great office in the heart of Boston or Denver that you can’t use till COVID lightens up, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.
Read Full Job Description