Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast’s Hardware team designs and develops world-class hardware devices in conjunction with our JDM & ODM partners. We are a very lean team that focuses on the key elements of Android devices and accessories, and architect our devices to offer the best hardware solutions for our customers. From our close relationships with our customers, we have learned the important design features that make our devices truly restaurant-grade. We focus on the long-term reliability of our devices to ensure our customers do not have to be concerned with their Toast hardware always being ready for another busy day.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will lead the Mechanical Engineering design effort in the conceptualization, architecting, designing, developing, NPI and sustaining Engineering on our products. You will provide leadership and guidance to other junior members of the team and collaborate with other key teams at Toast. We are all driven to make the best restaurant POS systems for our customers. You will need to develop strong relationships with our JDM/OEM partners as well. On a given day, you might be reviewing design documents and concepts, coordinating discussions between teams, collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders, and providing technical guidance to other team
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Coach other individual contributors for professional and technical development.
- Architect and develop innovative devices that will delight our customers.
- Drive knowledge sharing across the engineering organization.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- BS degree in ME or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with injection molded parts, castings, sheet metal parts, glass lenses, die-cut parts as well as electromechanical devices like LCD panels, speakers, microphones, switches, mechanical mechanisms. You’ll also need to be familiar with various decoration technologies, like painting, printing, plating, and polishing.
- Hands-on experience with prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification and manufacturing support.
- Root cause design, manufacturability, or production issues to optimize designs and successfully take products to mass production.
- Must have experience with NPI and being passionate about getting the details right the first time out of the gate.
- Ability to travel internationally
*Bread puns encouraged but not required