Product/Project Manager at Housing Navigator Massachusetts, Inc.
Housing Navigator Massachusetts, Inc. (HNMI) has an exciting and timely mission: to make it easier to find and apply for affordable housing. A Massachusetts nonprofit, our initial product will be a first-of-its-kind comprehensive, reliable search tool and database for finding affordable housing throughout Massachusetts.
We are seeking a contract product manager—passionate about our goals and analytically inclined—to guide the effort into implementation and launch in late 2020.
This position is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to build technology to address one of the most pressing issues in our society: providing affordable housing. If you are ready to make a true lasting impact, enjoy working in a creative, compassionate and entrepreneurial environment, and thrive with the flexibility and reward of a contract position, please get in touch with us!
After 1.5 years of stakeholder and user engagement, HNMI formed in 2019. There is high enthusiasm for the effort, a successful funding campaign, and considerable detail worked out around user needs, the product, and path forward. There is a defined Product Description, a Technical Assessment and a chosen software developer with a strong track record in mission-oriented software development.
Elements are in place for a successful drive toward going live with the site. We need the right PM to get us there. It will be the PM’s responsibility to take the first phase product into implementation, coordinating all team members and engaging users in order to launch in late 2020.
Key Responsibilities & Job Requirements
You’ll be responsible to help shape and execute HNMI’s first product delivery. You’ll work closely with leadership in the affordable housing field, stakeholders, and software developers to make real the HNMI vision. You will interface with the HNMI President/Board Chair regularly and with the HNMI board.
On a daily basis you will be responsible for all elements of Product and Project Management. You’ll shepherd the product and new features from concept through wireframe and high-fidelity mockups, working closely with the software developer’s design team. This includes defining and documenting user stories, writing and reviewing acceptance criteria, development resource management, and scheduling. You’ll also be responsible for coordinating user testing, working to develop collateral and other support for product launch, and executing roll-out and adoption strategies. HNMI is fortunate to have strong connections to multiple intended users—tenants and property owners/managers-- in place. Your job is to make the most of those relationships.
- Work closely with HNMI President, and software developer Green River regarding UX, UI design, engineering, QA, and data scrubbing to strategize, plan, and build a product which meets or exceeds requirements for a similar product in the for-profit market
- Ensure the quality and reliability of the data in the database; data will come from multiple sources
- Understand and analyze customer/user needs and communicate those needs
- Organize usability testing, collect feedback and organize into actionable development priorities
- Plan, create the tools for and execute product roll-out strategy; promote adoption by tenants and property owners/managers
- An unrelenting dedication to providing the highest quality information on affordable housing options for Massachusetts residents
- 3-5 years of digital Product Management experience with a proven track record delivering products and solutions
- 3+ years direct experience shaping and executing product strategy for an online information product, real estate products, or similar site focusing on delivering content in a way that is accessible and welcoming to a broad audience for both web and mobile
- Subject matter expertise in affordable housing or real estate not required; passion for building technology to address the information gap in housing is essential
- Exceptional organization skills, with the ability to track and support multiple complex project pieces with flexibility, sense of humor, and attention to deadlines.
- Ability to work both collaboratively as part of a team and independently to achieve goals and timelines.
- Aptitude for analytic reasoning and the use of data to inform decision-making.
- Ability to develop solutions to problems creatively as they arise and the judgment to know when to call on others for help.
- Ability to build relationships and work with a diverse range of partners and users.
- Experience detailing product requirements and launching products/functionality enhancements to meet customer needs
- Availability for frequent in-person meetings including some at night in the Greater Boston area, some day travel (limited) to other areas of Massachusetts
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- BA/BS degree required or demonstration of equivalent competency
This is a professional services, part-time contract position anticipated to last an initial 10-12 months starting January, 2020. No benefits are provided; however workspace is available. While HNMI is a nonprofit, we are able to compensate a consultant commensurate with the skill set required for this undertaking.
HNMI is committed to a diverse, inclusive environment in housing and its contracting. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.